Chapter 18

"Just a week" I said preparing for another day. I pulled the curtains to see the sun rising slowly on the sky. Some lights were playing in the room making me want to go back to sleep. It was way too early, but I already knew that this day was going to be like the others. More work for me since the Darkling has left the palace on my hands a few days ago.
I walked toward the chair where my jet-black kefta was threw in an unnatural angle. I left it that way yesterday when I was too tired to care. I wanted to dress myself as quickly as possible but my hand hesitated to grab the kefta.
Is it going to be like this forever? Always working, always keeping myself away from everyone? No speaking unless it's about some political discussion. Trips in other places to make alliances for war. Everything is consumed by it. How foolish of me to think I can stop a battle that keeps taking and taking until you remain with nothing. I felt our connection rising slowly but I cut it off. I don't need him.
Suddenly, I heard a light knock at the door.
"Who's there?" I asked before letting that person to come in.
Someone snorted irritated.
"Genya, my queen"
I remained in my place for a moment. I hasn't talked to her properly since I was named the queen of Ravka, but that haven't stopped me from trying to explain myself. Usually, she ignored any attemptive of apologize, leaving the room before I could reach the middle of my sentence.
"Come in"
She entered the room carrying some food with her. After it was placed on a table, she turned around to leave without even looking at me once. This was my moment to speak.
"Genya, if you could wait for a second..."
She stopped to hear what I was going to say next. At least she was now looking at me. Unfortunately, the look she was giving me could have freeze an entire lake. My confidence begun to decrease slowly.
"I...I wanted to talk to you about this whole situation." I gesticulated to me and her.
She hasn't left time for me to continue.
"Me too." Her voice was like ice, cold and sharp, matching with her eyes and creating a ruthless duet. "I was really wondering, just like the others, when were you going to tell us that you wanted to threw yourself in the Darkling's arms."
I was wrong. This wasn't a duet. It was a knife, turned in the direction of my heart.
For a moment I remained spechless. I was just standing there and staring at her to see if she really meant that. Not a single reaction from her.
"Genya, you can't believe that."
She pulled some of her hair furiously behind her ear.
"And who are you to tell me what to believe? Oh, wait, I forgot. You are my queen. You can do whatever you want."
This is not going the way I wanted to.
"I didn't have any other option! There was..."
"No, Alina" she cut me off again "there is always another option. You have already picked yours."
She turned on one heel ready to leave the room. And me. So I did the most unexpected thing, hoping she will believe me.
"Genya, it is just a part of the plan." I said a half truth.
She waited with her hand on the door handle.
"What plan?"
I told her about my plan to earn his trust and why I kept it secret. After I finished she still wasn't looking at me.
"No one will wait that longer for you, Alina. Even if it means their death, the people will still fight."
She opened the door.
"I do really hope that he won't earn your trust."
And she dissapeared leaving behind her voice's echo as my only company.

***

The library was sinked in a strange silence, but my mind wasn't paying attention at all. That was the only free time I had for myself, an hour that is usually for taking dinner. I thought I could spend it another way since I couldn't focus on anything besides what Genya said. I knew how to distract myself.
I walked pass through the mountains of books and desks. After I found the book I needed I tried to reach it. Clearly it was too high for me. I climbed on a chair and, standing on my toes, I took the book. Five other books fell directly on my head, leaving me down on the floor.
I sighed as I was making a little tower of books to put them back. When my eyes fell on the last one I froze.
It was an ancient book, that was easy to say. The covers were made from animals skin, affected by the time. The fragile pages were kept together by a thin thread, once colored perhaps in a glowing yellow. But that wasn't what kept me in my place. Right there, as if the time has not even passed, was shining the title, gold on the book's black cover.
"Oskolki teney"
Suddenly, my interest for drawing vanished.
"Shards of shadows"
The book opened with a sound of protest. On the first page in different types of ink were three names. The first one was written carelessly, with sharp angles and little spots of color. The next two names were similar with each other and very distinct with the first one. Both of them were rounded in elegant curves, without unimportant detailes. Simple and practical.
Ilya Morozova
Baghra M.
A.M
I turned the page to read what was about, even though I had already an ideea.
I winced hearing an unexpected lound sound. The city's bells started to ring furiously through the air announcing enemies. A guard opened the wooden doors of the labrary.
"My queen! The palace is under attack...!"
Before he could even finish a sword passed through his chest, making his shirt go red.
Behind him was a masive man, cleary fjerdan. He rushed toward me. I remained untouched in my place, a collected calm taking control over me.
When my hands lowered, from his pieces were twisting light spirals.
I ran to the front door as fast as I could. The rest of the palace was empty and quiet, the only sounds coming from the battle outside.
The view was horrible. The injuried were laying on the ground in a bath of blood as the rest of them were still battling. I scaned the surrondings quickly. We would have already won if the enemy was only composed of fjerdans. There, fighting side by side with them, were Grisha I saw when I have been held by the Apparat. They remained with him after I escaped.
Even if I knew them or not, it was my responsability to protect my people.
I stepped into the battle.
The light was coming from my hands in shining waves. Beautiful. Powerful.
I moved quickly while they were still blinded by my light. I was walking directly through their crowd and behind me they were all falling on the ground. Inside of me, that joy of using my power rose up.
After I reached the end of their army, I turned to look back. And that was the moment when my calm destroyed piece by piece. The whole field looked as if a hurricane hit it. Dead bodies or remains of them were covering the beautiful green of the grass.
With my knees shaking I fell on the ground.
The Grisha were all staring at me with a look of complete terror on their faces. Some of them had even their mouths open.
They didn't know that their saint is capable of such a massacre.
A shadow caught my eye. A pair of black wings was moving fast through the air making my people fall injuried to the ground. One of the guards was taken by it in the direction of the trees.
I ran after them and stopped only when I was close enough to see a golden head surronded by the two black wings.
I took a shaky breath.
"Nikolai?"

_____________________________
And because everyone wanted him in this story, here it is. Nikolai Lantsov, the bastard prince, sweetheart who stole everyone's heart.

Happy new year! (Yes, now, because I haven't posted a new chapter in ages). I hope everyone will try their best to make this year wonderful!

A huuuuge thank you for voting and making this story over 2k views in such a short time?! That's insane! It makes me really happy to know you enjoy my story.

And if I'm still writing, you could check my tumblr account at soliskoroleva perhaps? You don't have to, but I will still let a link in my bio if you're interested.

Sorry for the cliffhanger,
Annie