But where is she, though?

I have searched on all social media platforms I can think of but they have proved abortive. I had hoped that one day, she would reach out...but that hasn't happened.

What would you do, if you saw her now?

Funny thing, I don't know.

Jide had mentioned something about Saheed still being in Lagos the last time I asked. He'd also mentioned, in passing, that Nwanyieze and Saheed were no more together.

To say I had been surprised is an understatement. I had let out a small laugh in that moment, and Jide had watched me like I was crazy. It wasn't humour, I wasn't happy about the turn of events, I wasn't displaying any E.P.-- enemy of progress-- characteristics. I was just not expecting it, even though I knew their relationship was ill-fated from the start. I knew she would take out her pain on him, even though she probably didn't intend to. I knew he would try to possess her in every way possible, and that their wills would clash often. I also knew, that she would never love him.

How did I know?

Maktub.

The past year has been a busy one for me. It has also been emotionally challenging, with having my parents and older siblings feel betrayed that I didn't inform them about my decision to re-establish relations with my family in Imo State. Only Somto had stood by me. My parents had been shocked to hear that I actually knew my first home, and it had taken them a significant amount of time to recover from my story.

And then there were questions about Nwanyieze and how she had fit into all of this, because her name kept popping up in the story...and I didn't feel the time was right to explain to them who she was...

I used to be a prostitute. In modern language, I'm a hoe... I sold myself. I accepted it as a part of my life... Until I met you.

I can never forget the look in Mama Uju's eyes the next day when I had showed up. There had been a deep sadness there, shame, and pain. She'd hidden Adanna behind her, stopping the little girl from running towards me even though Adanna had insisted. While I had known deep down but never thought of it, it dawned on me that Adanna, the biracial cherub, was born through an illegitimate union with an already married man.

I had stared at her for a few moments, wishing I could offer comfort. Reeling from the events of the previous night, I still felt compassion that these beautiful people resorted to such means of survival.

"She came back and left last night," she had croaked. I could tell that she'd been crying. Her face was puffy and her eyes were red.

"Do you know if she'll be back soon?"

She had moved her head from side to side. "Wait here."

Dragging a confused Adanna with her, she disappeared into the flat for a few seconds. I stood right there, knowing I was no longer welcomed. She emerged after a few seconds, holding a white box. It was the box that Nwanyieze's cell phone came in when I had bought it for her.

"She...she said I should give you this. She said thank you."

"Mama-"

"I don't know where she is. She doesn't deserve this, she doesn't deserve everything that's happened to her. She's a good girl, but...she's done bad things...we've done bad things."

Before I could speak, Mama Uju retreated, saying, "Thank you for being a good man, Maduka. It's better you move on."

I don't remember how long I had remained standing after she had shut the door in my face, tightly holding the box. I don't even remember the drive to Jide's place where I had spent the whole day, watching his television without the volume turned on. It was when he had tapped me for the third time and said I had been sitting still for most of the day that I, surprised, had automatically gotten up and left without saying good bye.