18

I found Zuko walking down the beach and decided to just follow him. He paused for a moment in a few times as though he was remembering something. I remembered the beach well. I had been on practice missions when I was here, training for this kind of thing. I looked over the ocean and the moon lit waves seemed to become the fire bender's who had trained me. They seemed to be bending fire at me, one hit striking true at my leg. I shook my head as I remembered these were just waves.

Our next stop was the large Fire Nation mansion nestled in the mountain face that belonged to the royal family. I'd trained there too. Zuko approached the doors to the mansion and pulled to find them locked. He kicked them in and entered the dusty room.

I sat outside to wait for him as I remembered my own childhood here. I closed my eyes and the visions danced behind my eye lids.

"General, why do we have to train now? I want to swim!" My own voice floated through the air as I looked up at General Moi.

"Swimming is a waste of time." Moi said angrily. "Besides, we're training in the house while the royals are at the beach."

"Fine..." I followed Moi, pouting.

In the house he began throwing fire at me and having me catch it and put it out. The barrage got harder and faster. Each blow likely to kill me or set the house on fire if I didn't catch and extinguish it. I caught each ball before I sent one in return fire. He dodged and I had to pull it back in time not to set fire to the tapestry. It was a challenge, but I managed to dash the fire against the rock of the stairs, causing a scorch mark on the stairs. It wasn't big but it was enough to get me in trouble.

"Azul! Why can't you get this right? Azula has already mastered this move."

"What about the little prince?" I asked, hoping my job wouldn't be a hard one if he could defend himself too. "Has he mastered this faster than me too?"

"Zuko is not on this level yet and hasn't begun training in this move. Prince Ozai may be right."

"Right about what, General Moi?" I moved to look out the window and see the royal family playing in the sand.

"His father has begun to say that Azula was born lucky but Zuko may have been lucky to be born. The boy is not learning very fast and he is missing the royal blue fire."

"I can't make blue fire..." I said as I stared out the window.

"Yes, Azul, but you're not of royal blood."

"Oh..." It was at that moment that I first saw the eyes filled with power that I would come to worship. Prince Ozai turned back to look at the house and I instantly knew the handsome young royal to be a powerful man who would rule our nation one day. I instantly revered this man as a God. Our eyes seemed to connect and he seemed to know I was staring him in the eye.

I jumped into a defensive stance as I woke from my memory at the sound of Azula's voice.

Azula didn't seem to care. "I thought I'd find you here."

Zuko's voice to my left distracted me. He was sitting on the steps just to my left and staring at a small mold of a hand. "Those summers we spent here seem so long ago. So much has changed."

Azula gestured down the steps. "Come down to the beach with me." She started down the steps. "Come on, this place is depressing."

***

Zuko, Azula, and I were walking side by side toward Mai and Ty Lee came into view.

Mai was still angry, that was obvious. "Hey-"