PART ONE

"Your eyes can deceive you; don't trust them."

***

***

Standing by the train station eagerly waiting for the early morning train, a daughter and mother held each other in their arms.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?"

"Yes, mom, I promise." She tried to convince her mother.

"I know baby, it's just, you're a fifteen year old girl going off into the city. A mom can worry, right?"

"Of course, but I'll be with Carla. Your best friend. I'll be okay mom."

"Ezra, I'll miss you so much."

"I'll see you soon! Only four months away, and I'll be back home a few times before then."

"You're just growing up so quick." Her petite figure held Ezra tightly.

"Mom, my train is leaving. I have to go."

"Oh okay, I love you. Call me three times a day."

"Of course."

Ezra Wilson's short legs carried her on the five thirty train, on its way to the city. Just as bags of luggage and a teenage girl got ready to board, her name was called out, "Ezra!"

"Mom?"

"Be careful."

"Of course."

***

Her mom's best friend, Carla, who Ezra considerd her aunt, was chief editor for New York Times. Growing up with a constant flow of articles and papers, Ezra had learned to love the art of writing.

In late December, Carla had offered Ezra an internship for her sophomore year. That involved moving to the city, and leaving her mom behind.

Also switching schools.

Ezra had been accepted into Midtown High, too. Growing up, her life had always been focused on writing and science. The opportunity to do two things that she loved was absolutely riveting.

Back home Ezra only had a small group of friends. Never the popular ones, always the ones who would help the popular kids with their homework.

As well as the small group of friends, Ezra's mother, Harper, had always been there for her. After scientist, Howard Wilson, father of Ezra passed away from cancer, the both felt a large weight taken off their shoulders. For years it's just been Harper and Ezra.

Ezra feared that that's what her mom wanted forever.

Leaving her entirely, was a tough decision, but living in New York City was once in a lifetime.