Against Authority (15)

15. His House

The next day, I was filled to capacity with happiness and joy. Not only did I know what Chris' decision would be, but we both had the day off from our jobs. And we were going to spend the day together.

I thought of all the things we could do. Go to the beach, the movies, a fancy restaurant, I would even settle for a lousy museum. Just as long as it would be the two of us.

As I was pondering our choices, I didn't hear the front door open, and the footsteps that led up to Chris and his arms around me.

I jumped. "Chris?" I wanted to make sure it was him, because I couldn't turn around and see.

"Yes?" he asked in a very cheery voice.

"Just...making sure it was you," I said.

"Who else would it be?"

"I truly don't know. Possibly some lunatic with an obsession over me," I said.

God, I always made a fool of myself when I talked to him. I never babble like this with my other friends.

"You are actually very close," he said, tightening his arms around me. It felt very relaxing and comforting. "I'm a lunatic, and crazy about you."

"I wouldn't call you a lunatic per se. And if you're so crazy about me, why don't you just get everything over with and make your decision already?"

I crossed the line. Chris let me go and I turned around. He looked very serious.

"Alex..." he said.

"I know, I know," I replied. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I just really...want you."

"Alex, just because I act like this around you, doesn't mean I've completely made my choice. I do like you, and I know we might think nothing could go wrong, but something might."

I nodded. "I understand."

"Well, I guess I can't really blame you. I shouldn't lead you on like this."

"No, no!" I said quickly. "You don't have to stop. I'm okay with it."

"Why does that not surprise me?" he asked, rolling his eyes.

"Because you know me," I said smugly.

Chris looked away, a smile bright on his face, and I knew that little argument was over.

"So," I said, putting an end to the silence. "What are we going to do today?"

"I was hoping you would know."

"Well, I do have a few ideas."

"How many are a few?"

I glared at him. "Not that many actually. I was thinking of possibly the beach, the movies, get something to eat, or even...a museum."

"All of that, today?" He looked at me skeptically.

"No, not all of it today. Just one or two."

"Then which one?"

"You decide."

"Hmm," he thought for a moment. "Not the beach...too crowded. Not the movies," he looked down at me, "too dark and unpredictable..."

I pursed my lips and crossed my arms. That was just judgmental of him. I don't stoop that low.

"...it's too early for lunch," he continued, smiling at my stance. "And the museum doesn't sound so good to me either."