Against Authority (6)

To those people who have stuck out with this story up to here, thank you! I would appreciate it if you comment and vote. I really want to know what you all think. So please, I know its kind of boring right now, but the good stuff is coming little by little. Cant have it all at once and then have the rest of the story go downhill, can we?Again, please vote and comment!!!

_____________

6. The Trouble Begins

The day started out normal, although I can't really think of any time that you can have a bad morning. You've just woken up, and what can happen at six, seven o'clock in the morning at your house?-other than getting your legs twisted in the sheets and falling out of bed-and I'm not saying that that has ever happened to me.

All right, all right. It has. Twice.

But my excuse was that I had just had a terrible nightmare.

Though not this morning. This morning I woke up at the usual time and walked downstairs after seeing that the other half of the bed was empty. Halfway down the stairs, I could smell breakfast cooking. I entered the kitchen to see Barry at the stove, making what smelled like eggs, although that definitely wasn't what it looked like.

"Hey," I greeted him. "Shouldn't Winslow be doing that?"

"He actually doesn't come until later," he replied.

I looked around the room. "Where is everyone?"

"Shannon and Annie are still asleep, and Chris is in the living-or sitting-room. Whichever you want to call it."

I nodded, but realized he couldn't see me. "Got it."

I walked out of the kitchen, and into the sitting room. Chris was in there just as Barry had said. As I walked in, he nodded to me.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Nothing. Just waiting for Barry to finish breakfast," he said.

I smiled. "I'm hungry. But did you see the stuff that was in the pan?"

He grinned. "Yeah. That's why I left the kitchen and came in here."

"Me, too."

"I can hear you guys," Barry called from the kitchen. "My food may look creepy, but it'll taste delicious."

" 'Creepy' is a very good word for it," I whispered to Chris.

He nodded in agreement.

"You're still talking about me, aren't you?" Barry asked.

Chris and I glanced at each other. "Yes," we said in unison.

"Well, it's a good thing breakfast is done. I'll be able to listen to what you're saying."

Chris and I stood up and walked into the kitchen. We were halfway through our meals-which did taste pretty good, actually-when the phone rang. We just assumed it was fine, and continued eating. But a minute later, Shannon ran into the room, her breathing fast.

I stood up. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"He...someone...I...I..." she stammered.

Now Barry and Chris were on their feet, but I was a step ahead of them.

"Who just called?" I asked.

She shook her head. "I-I don't know."

"What did they say?"

"They...said they were coming."

I tensed. "Did they say when?"

She swallowed deep. "Thirty seconds."