26 | grief & hold

Zacznij od początku

Chen kept quiet. He looked at me for few second more, before slightly opening his mouth. However, he shut it almost instantly. The receptionist looked at us, giving us a doubtful glance, but got back to her work immediately.

"Chen, is there something serious? Did the residents mess it up? It's fine. It's probably something we can fix," I replied hesitantly. Chen looked at me, sympathetically, and hugged me. I was beyond confused at this point.

Chen lowered his head so as to come closer to my ears. His hot breath fanned over my earlobe, providing me this rush of brotherly warmth that enveloped me and wrapped me completely.

"Taehyung's hurt."

The ground beneath my feet seemed to have vanished. Some unimaginable force tried to drag me down. An immeasurable weight seemed to be over my body. I gripped on Chen's coat tight. My throat dried up and I licked my lips. I snuggled in Chen's chest, gripping his shirt tighter minute by minute.

"Do you want to sit through this surgery? He was shot," Chen asked, concerned.

I kept my silence. Taehyung had promised me that we'd face the ups and downs of any situation together. I promised that I'd be there for him as much as he would be there for me. Yet, here Taehyung was, in the hospital I worked at, injured.

Chen was clearly very understanding of the situation and held me for as long as I had wanted him to, letting me snuggle into him for some comfort and warmth. The receptionist behind us coughed slightly and Chen turned to look at her, shooting her a glare.

It felt like I was knocked out of air circulation. Taehyung's presence was like that of candy's. He managed to make the entire environment around light and carefree. The ecstatic spirit of his that could hardly be diminished flashed by in my head and I clutched onto Chen harder. I was lost of words and even if I weren't, I doubt my voice would have been heard.

However, I knew I had to get my mess together if I had to be there for Taehyung. I pushed myself back from Chen, rubbing away the tears that had streamed down and were slightly staining my face. Chen smiled at me, comfortingly. I rubbed my eyes, trying to remove any possible sign of me in my weakest. I had to get back to my work.

"Are his vital signs still strong?"

"Liv," Chen's attention was locked at the figure of mine that walked forward.

"Are the scans done?

"Liv," Chen called out louder, catching up with me.

"Is the patient in the general ward yet or has he been shifted to theatre?" I walked quicker, trying to block out any possible hurtful thought that could block me from doing my job right. It hurt. It hurt so much that the one I loved was shot and could have been shot in the worst possible location.

"Olivia," Chen firmly called me out and pulled me by my arm. I was pulled back only to face Chen. I looked at him and I couldn't hold it back. I broke down before him, crying my heart out.

Chen watched me break down. He watched intently how the tears rolled down my eyes. However, he did nothing. Chen let me have my space and let me cry out loud. The patients and staff around watched us. As common as it was to have people cry in the hospitals, it wasn't that common to have doctors cry.

"Chen, it hurts," I cried out, clutching my chest. "It hurts so much."

"I know," Chen mumbled, still maintaining his eye contact with me.

"Taehyung's hurt. Taehyung's hurt in a land that he can't even call his. Who's at fault?" I raised my voice. Chen took a step forward, ensuring that I was still looking at him.