Chapter Seven (part 2)--The things you do for love

Comenzar desde el principio

If I'd just told my father no from the start and refused the match with Jessica, we'd be together. I knew I was in love with you. He pounded a fist against his knee. Part of me was afraid that you might not feel the same. But when you bolted from the engagement party when my father announced I would marry Jessica, that betrayed look on your face tore me apart, and I knew you did.

Man, I'm stupid. I should've told you how I felt. I don't know. Maybe I was afraid of pushing you away, but I managed to do that anyway, didn't I.

You're just worried about the trial. My cheeks warmed, and I pressed my cold fingers to the swelling.

Honestly? I'm more concerned about you sharing the punishment.

Everything is messed up. I hugged my arms to my chest. Promise me something?

Anything, he answered, not even knowing what I'd ask.

If we both somehow magically survive past the end of today, you'll tell me you love me every day for the rest of our lives.

Done and promised.

Water circled his ring twice, and my necklace flickered.

Does that mean you still love me?

I've never stopped. I stared at the ground. I must be crazy, but I do.

A breeze picked up and whipped my hair against my face. I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and noticed Jax's boots in front of mine.

"Am I interrupting?" He scuffed the ground with his foot.

Kellan groaned in my head. Yes.

"No," I answered. Would you stop? I need a minute to talk to Jax. Do you mind?

Jaxon eased into the spot next to me on the rock.

Yes, I mind... You're my future partner, he said, emphasizing the word, my.

Kellan... I scolded.

Fine. But don't even think about kissing him. He unlinked before I could even respond.

"Is he gone?" Jax tapped his head.

I nodded, and his stiff posture relaxed.

"Kellan didn't say anything I didn't already know. But somehow he gets under my skin."

He held out his hand, silently waiting for mine. When our palms touched, my cold hands warmed and tingled.

"Do you like me?" He closed his fingers over mine.

"Of course, I do." I licked my lips, feeling the sting of my saliva run along the cut on my bottom lip. "You're loyal, caring, and awkwardly sweet. What's not to like?"

"I mean as more than a friend."

Of course he did. "You know how to put a girl on the spot." I shifted on the rock, trying to get comfortable. "In case you were wondering, I don't go around kissing every guy I meet." I nudged him with my shoulder. "Actually, that count is only two. So, I guess I'd have to answer yes to that question, wouldn't I?"

He nodded, not taking his gaze from the ground. "But you're in love with him."

"Jax, you have to understand, I've known him since I was little. Even if I can't remember everything, it's like his essence is a foggy memory, haunting my subconscious."

Jax squeezed my hand. "At least you're honest with me."

"We're going to be partners in a couple of days, and none of this will matter." I rested my head on his shoulder, feeling the need to be close to him.