Chapter Ten - Protection

After Tony had left to go run some errands, I walked myself up to the labs where I'd hoped to find Dr. Banner. I need a new charge for the arc reactor and right now, he's the only person I can trust to get the job done.

I reached the labs and came walking into Dr. Banner's section, only to find Mr. Rogers tending to a wound on his right upper arm. He was struggling to wrap it and by the looks of it, he really needed help.

"Need any help?" I asked calmly

Mr. Rogers looked over to me, surprised, and smiled gently. He then looked down to his arm and shook his head hesitantly, unsure whether he needed my help or not.

"Nah, I'm alright. Just gonna wrap this up," he answered.

I smiled and shook my head, walking over to him. I took a hold of the wrappings and could feel him get tense. He retracted himself away from me as if startled.

"Mr. Rogers," I said as I placed a hand on his arm. "It's okay. There's nothing to worry about."

Mr. Rogers looked at me and the second I could feel my hand heating up, he loosened under my grip and breathed out heavily. He really was just a big teddy bear that need to be fluffed up and cuddled. I really can't see him getting much of that if he becomes a rock near women.

I wrapped his arm with the bandages gently, but not too gentle for fear the bandages may get loose and come off. As I wrapped his arm, I thought of how my mother took care of me whenever I scraped my elbow or cut my hands. She would always run her fingers over the bandages as she wrapped them, so I did so to Mr. Rogers. He seemed to have calmed down quite a bit as I did so.

"You're very gentle with your hands, (Y/N)," Mr. Rogers commented as I finished up the wrapping.

I shrugged and tightly fastened the adhesive wrap to his arm. "I get my care from my mother. She always helped me when I was hurt so I took that and used it to help other people."

Mr. Rogers looked down and sighed. "About your mother," he started.

"It's fine, really. You kind of get used to losing everything eventually and soon enough it doesn't hurt as much anymore. Sure you cry, it's all part of life, but really, the pain will go away and get better. I know I have nothing, but that's just fine, because the worst that could happen is that I don't die soon and I won't see my mom ever again."

Mr. Rogers gave me a sympathetic look and then embraced me in his arms. His arms fit around my body perfectly. I hesitantly hugged back, wondering why he had really cared. Mr. Rogers then let go of me and pulled me close, keeping contact with my eyes.

"I swear, on your mother's grave, that I will protect you and help you live to your fullest. Nothing will stand in your way while I'm there with you, okay?" Mr. Rogers promised.

"Mr. Rogers, please, there's no need. I can take care of myself," I answered.

Mr. Rogers then lifted his hand to rest on my right cheek. His hand was warm and I could feel how loose and relaxed he was. Mr. Rogers looked me dead in the eyes and smiled. His smile was so beautiful, it fit him so well it was hard to ever imagine him not smiling.

"I feel like I've known you for years," Mr. Rogers whispered. "I haven't felt like this in a long time."

Dude. This guy is almost 100 years old. What the hell. Don't do it. God, please don't it.

I stared at Mr. Rogers and watched as his eyes scanned my face. His beautiful blue eyes became brighter the more I looked into them.

"I'll always protect you, (Y/N)."