Chapter One - Miles

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groan and wake up slamming the blue digital alarm clock next to my face. It falls to the floor and the batteries fall out of the back. It's the third time that's happened this week.

I get up and my feet hit the cold floor. Just like any other day, I have work at 7:00 am at the local food market. It's been very busy lately, due to the constant constructions being torn down.

The Avengers.

Countless times have I been dealing with these battles. I've been around since the start of it. One time, there was an electric blast sent through the whole town. I was put in the hospital for it. Supposedly something very bad happened to my heart, so now it doesn't function properly. I still walk and breathe though.

I sit up from my warm empty bed and turn around to fix it. As I look to the empty side of my bed, my heart sinks. I'm a lonely person, I will always be. Not only because I actually work and have a life but because of all the dumb things I do. I'm mischievous and I can't be serious. I cause recks and ruin people's day. Maybe that's why no one likes me.

I finish making my bed and stretch. Now that I don't have a working alarm clock, I have to walk down to the kitchen for the time. Walking in there, I catch sight of the microwave.

5:12 am

Jesus, I'm up late. I rush to grab some workout clothes and my running shoes. I slip my favorite t-shirt on that read,

"I run because punching people is frowned upon."

I laugh at the sight of my shirt and slip my shoes on. Tying my hair up, I slip my hat on and grab my keys and phone. I stumbled out the door slamming it behind me, snickering. My neighbor in this apartment is an old woman. She's as old as dirt and I love waking her up in the morning.

"Damn you, child!! I'll have you arrested soon (y/n)!!" The old lady screeched.

I laugh louder as I bolt down the stairs. I slide down the last few steps and slam open the door the blocks me from the outside. As I come out into the open, the wind smack me in the face gently. It feels amazing to be out and free. Thank the lord I have my hair up or my hair would be in my face right now.

I look to my phone and the small notification on it read,

"4 mile run in 30 seconds."

I nod and turn to the right plugging my wireless earbuds in my ears. Turning on (favorite song), I smile and walk for a bit, stretching.

When I'm warm, my alarm goes off in my ears and start my run at a fair pace. It feels good to have my legs burn and not hear my heart beat so fast. I speed up and tackle a mile in 3 minutes and 53 seconds. In another 6 minutes, I've tackled another 2 miles. Finally, I round a corner and just before I start my next mile, I ram straight into someone.

The person I run into is sent back like two feet. I fall backwards and land on my back feeling something in my chest pop. A sudden rush of blood fills my lungs and I can't breathe. The person I hit has gotten up and they're by my side. I can see they're wearing a suit and glasses, which confuses me because it's 5 in the morning and there's no sun.

By now, I'm coughing up blood and can feel the person next to me place their hand on my chest. They pick up their phone and call someone immediately.

"N-no!" I manage to scream.

"Don't worry, darling. I know what I'm doing," the person says. By the deepness of their voice, I could tell they're male.

In a matter of seconds, I can no longer breathe and my vision goes blurry. My head throbs and I hear ringing in my head. Slowly, my eyes shut and I'm gone.