Chapter Two - Home

I could feel a part of me leave my body. I felt like everything I was had been torn out and played with. I opened my eyes to find myself covered in cords and a breathing mask on my face. I looked around and beside me to my right, a woman with short blonde hair was working at something near my chest. To the left, a tall man held pieces of metal and was holding a blow torch. I felt nothing from my shoulders and down.

"W-what's happening.." I mumbled.

The man on my left turned to me and the blow torch went out. His eyes went huge and he dropped the piece of metal in his hand. He was clearly shocked.

The woman at my right snapped at the man and told him to continue working. She eyed me closely and then smiled.

"Go back to sleep, darling. You're dreaming. You'll wake up soon," I heard someone say behind me.

I looked up and deep green eyes locked on mine and I felt uneasy. Slowly, my eyes closed and I drifted into a deep sleep.

(:/\:)

I woke up feeling refreshed but shut down. It was like waking up from a wonderful sleep on a school day. I felt like I woke up from a horrible dream but had a wonderful sleep.

I swerved my feet around and attempted to get out of my bed keeping my eyes closed. As soon as my feet hit the floor, I realized I wasn't home. It was warmer than the hard cold floor at my apartment and the area around me felt cleaner yet packed. I took a deep breath and felt my chest stretch. I stopped halfway and exhaled.

Placing my hand on my chest, I felt my fingers touch cold metal. Tracing a circle, I looked down, and exactly where my heart should be, a blue machine sat, clear in my chest. Next to me, a machine began to beep and I began to breathe heavily. I stood up and stumbled to the floor. My arms smacked clean on the concrete solid.

I backed away from the machine and felt tubes connected to my arms. The beeps got louder. I backed away more and the machine followed me. The beeps rang so loud my ears hurt. I stayed still and closed my eyes. Focusing on the sound, I pin pointed where it was and as soon as my eyes opened, the sound went off and a popping sound filled the room.

The doors behind me opened and I turned my head around quick enough to break my own neck. A large man with blonde hair ran toward me and another ran toward the machine.

"Are you alright?" The blonde man asked.

I nodded and then looked down to my chest. "What is this?! What happened?!" I demanded.

The man over at the machine turned to me and for a split second, I knew who he was. The famous Tony Stark, a.k.a Iron Man. I then looked to the man next to me. He became familiar too. Steve Rogers, or better yet, Captain America.

"Y-you're part of the Avengers," I stammered.

Mr. Stark nodded. He walked over to me and offered me a hand. "And you are (y/n). A normal everyday person, correct?" He asked.

I nodded. "Just some normal everyday person. Why am I here? What did you guys do to me?"

Mr. Stark pulled me up and I stood weak. I feel forward a bit and Mr. Stark caught me in his arms. My legs were wobbly. As strong as they looked and as a stable person I was, my legs felt like they were palm trees in a hurricane going at 70 miles an hour.

"You're here because you ran into me while running. You knocked me back a few feet which is surprising. When I got up, you were coughing up blood and holding your chest. Immediately, I had a feeling I knew what was wrong." Mr. Stark explained.

Mr. Rogers cut him off. "You popped your right ventricle. Immediately, blood gushed through your inferior vena cava. From there, a rib punctured your left lung. Whatever you landed on, dealt quite a bit of damage."

I spoke up. "I have a bad heart."

"Had," interrupted Mr. Stark.

"Had a bad heart," I nod. "There was an explosion that weakened my heart. The outer membrane of my heart weakened, exposing it to all dangers."

"Then what in the world were you doing running at such top speed?!" Mr. Stark exclaimed.

"No bad heart is going to stop me. I grew up a rough life. I once split my head open playing soccer on ice and even fractured my toe playing soccer in heels," I add.

Mr. Rogers looked surprised. He rested on one leg and crossed his arms.

"I must be off. Thank you for everything," I push off Mr. Stark and manage to catch my own balance. I grab my hat and head for what I think is the exit. Before soon, I feel my chest drop. I stumble and grab it.

"(Y/n), you can't leave just yet," Mr. Stark called out. "You won't be able to function properly without the correct care!"

I shook off his words and pushed open the door and to my surprise, it was actually an exit. I stumbled out and managed to catch a breath. I zipped up my jacket and began to walk down the driveway away from the Avengers building.

"I can care for myself," I mumble.

Before I can make it halfway, in a split second, an object lands in front of me. I stop, sigh, and watch as a tall muscular man in armor stands up.

"And you must be Thor," I assume.

Thor stands tall and nods. "You are not allowed to leave, young one. You would not be safe."

I shook my head and pushed his chest. "I'm going home." As I pushed, I felt energy rush through my arm and send him back several feet. He caught himself and pushed aside.

I continued to walk. All I wanted was to go home and now no one is going to stop me.