Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

With a final look in the mirror she exited the bathroom.

Brandon sat at the edge of the bed clipping his cufflink on. He was dressed in his well fitting suit that hugged him in all the right places.

Madison watched him from behind for a moment and smiled. His hair was brushed back slick and his face was freshly shaven. She walked over the wooden floor with her heels clicking. "You look really handsome" Madison said softly with a faint blush. She couldn't remember the last time she complimented an attractive man.

Brandon looked up at her, his mouth forming a large O. Slowly he stood and rested his hands on her hips "you" he whispered pulling her against his body "look beautiful".

Madison blushed even more "oh hush" she answered. But she was flattered.

"Alright you two!" Rebecca called from downstairs "get a move on".

He laughed and hooked arms with his wife "lets go my lady" he said leading her down the stairs.

"Wait right there" Rebecca ordered taking her phone out. "You need some pictures". She then organized Brandon and Madison into what she deemed as the perfect position.

"Mom" Brandon groaned, "I'm not in high school, this isn't prom or something".

His mother just laughed and waved his comment off "let me have my fun. This is your first black and white gala. It's like you're going to prom".

Brandon rested his head on Madison's shoulder and laughed a little. "Well I suppose since we never went to prom together this will be like what we missed. Kind of like our wedding even".

"Yeah it is" Madison said softly. But she felt like she was lying to his face. It was kind of like what a wedding would be but not their wedding. They never got married... but maybe the vow renewal would be similar to what a wedding is really like. Maybe she'll get a chance to feel what it is like then.

Rebecca snapped the last picture and smiled "alright that's great. You two are free to go and have some fun. The kids and I will be perfectly fine. I'll have them in bed nice and early so don't you worry about a thing".

"Thanks again" Madison said with a warm smile.

"Thank you mom" Brandon said opening the door for Madison. He rested his hand on the small of her back and guided her to the car, helping her inside.

"Excited for tonight?" Brandon asked as the drive began.

Madison smiled softly and rubbed the slight baby bump "excited but nervous" she answered in a soft voice. She had picked a dress that didn't showcase her growing belly but there was still a chance somebody might notice something starting some rumors.

Brandon leaned over and gently kissed her on the cheek "come now sweetie, there is nothing for you to worry about. This night is going to go as smooth as butter. We are going to eat a little dinner and then dance. There wont be much to worry about".

"But clients and talking to people" Madison said nibbling on her perfectly painted nails.

"You're a natural at it" Brandon said reassuringly. "You've already met several of the wives at the tea you hosted. So you don't need to worry about that. Once you've become friends with them its kind of one of those things that you have for life".

Madison laughed humorlessly "yeah expect for those wicked mothers of those girls from the twins school" she answered.

Brandon smiled softly "those woman are the exceptions".

She nodded slowly and glanced out the window. She was more nervous than she let on. This was her first large appearance that required her to have one on one interaction. Sure she attended the tea party but in that situation she had Rebecca there to act as a middle woman. The announcing of the share a book organization was in front of a large amount of people and she never had to talk one on one with anyone.