Digging

Newspaper articles, news stories clouded laptop, more and more tabs opening up. I click on one of them that caught my attention.

'Accident or Purpose?' Is the headline, I scroll down and start reading.

"Yesterday, on Wednesday the 12th of December at 3:02 in the morning, a terrible incident occurred in Parkley Orphanage. Blah, blah, blah." I mumble to myself.

"Bingo!" I scream while jumping of off my bed. Without a second thought, I quickly put on my brown coloured Timberlands, forgetting I'm only wearing black shorts with the logo 'Central Perk' on the left side and a long shirt with Mickey Mouse on it.
I fling my leg over my motorbike, which I had left in a parking space in the corner of the car park. I never used it because I didn't feel the need to. I pull my helmet on my head before leaving.

Flying through the deserted roads, my bike was the only thing making noise in the cold night. A few teenagers stumbled around on the pavement with bottles of beers in there hands. I stare at them for a few minutes, laughing when one fell off the the curb. This catches the attention of the two guys and two girls, who gave me dirty looks, like that's gonna scare me. The lights flicked to green and I am quickly speeding away, way over the speed limit.

In minutes I pull up outside the building cops parked around, n people rushing in and out. I park my bike randomly on the pavement, switch it off, hop of and sprint into the building like a mad man. Ignoring the curious and bewildered stares of the unifromed mean, I rapidly walk to the front desk.

"I need to see Detective Platwood." The women looks stunned by the sound of my voice. She gives my appearance a onceover, however brushes it off.

"Okay miss, Detective Platwood is busy right now, he has asked for no disturbances."

I huff in annoyance. "Tell him Taylors here and it's important, its about what happened when i was five." She looks relulctant at first, but after seing the pleade spread across my face, she soon gives up and calls his desk. Theres a muffled converation in which she keeps glancing at me.

"He says that you should go home, there is nothing new on the case and he is busy." She says bored underlining her tone.

"Okay, thank you." I quickly say before turning around and sprinting to my bike.

Swiftly jumping on my bike I put my matte black helmet on, I switch the engine on, flicking the stand up and accelerate away from the police station in a matter of seconds.

The wind whips at my pale skin, creating goose-bumps to cover my skin. My teeth clatter together in the cold night, but that doesn't stop my determination to get to where I'm going.

Hours pass. I've stopped at multiple gas stations to buy a snack, drinks and to use the toilet. 7 hours had passed since I set of from my house and I'm nearly at where everything went down.

It was around 8 o'clock in the morning and the sun had risen, giving me clear view of all the cars covering the roads, a few older people walking around. I remember everything in this neighbourhood. The shop down the road where me and few older people would go to buy sweets: a long time ago.

A few minutes later I slowly pull up to the building, I gradually swing my leg over the bike and stand up. I take a deep breaths remembering this is or the answers I need and take a couple steps forwarding, inching towards the place.

A building: a hole in the roof, half the sides burned down and black covering most if it, windows smashed, glass littering the floor. Overgrown grass made it look like a jungle. But what really hit me, is the toys that looked like they had been chucked onto the floor with no care at all, they were smothered in smoke, parts burnt and moulded.

Edging towards the building I start to glance at my surroundings, in-case there is anything I can use to help. I search around the grass and near the building for anything, but come up short.

Hours and hours later of searching and digging under rubbish and nearly injuring myself twice when unstable pieces of wood nearly fall and impale me, I give up.

Why I thought I'd find something after the police had been here and swept to the place for evidence and its been years since the fire.

Huffing in annoyance, sadness, and tiredness. I kick stones, lazily. Things didn't go to plan and tomorrow I've got school, but its already 3pm and it takes me 5 hours to get back home and I'm still not done with my research. Somethings not right with this whole situation and I'll go back to the house that ruined my childhood.

 Somethings not right with this whole situation and I'll go back to the house that ruined my childhood

Song: AJR- burn the house down