12: The Jasmine Dragon

Zuko didn't sleep well that night. He woke me with a start when he let out a fearful scream. I jumped up into a defensive stance with the dagger from under my pillow in my hand but I only saw Zuko sitting up wide eyed and breathing heavy on his bed as he felt the scar around his eye. I dropped myself back onto my cot, putting the blade away, and watched as Zuko laid back down with noticeably less coughing than normal. It appeared he was finally improving. I didn't sleep much the rest of that night as I felt I needed to keep an eye on Zuko's recovery.

The next morning I was waiting on breakfast as I spoke with Iroh in the kitchen. "He had a little bit of a fit last night but his fever finally broke. He seemed to be recovering quickly when I left him this morning."

"That is good. He was sleeping peacefully then?"

"Not at first but he was most of the night... although I didn't sleep much last night."

"You don't have to come with me today if you'd rather stay and rest."

"No, Iroh." I smiled. "I can't wait to see the Jasmine Dragon." I looked towards the room as I heard the door open. "Look who's well enough to be up..."

Zuko, still groggy from sleep, entered the room. "What's that smell?"

Iroh was stirring a thick white paste in a steaming pot. Iroh remembered his nephew's lack of interest in trying new things. "It's jook. I'm sure you wouldn't like it." Iroh stepped back.

Zuko bowed over the pot, inhaling. He looked up at us. "Actually, it smells delicious. I'd love a bowl, Uncle." The banished Prince picked up and held out a bowl.

I smiled at him. "I think I might like this new Zuko."

Iroh was suspicious. "Now that your fever is gone, you seem different somehow." Iroh ladled some jook into the offered bowl.

Zuko smiled optimistically. "It's a new day. We've got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop, right? Things are looking up for us." Zuko moved to the table to kneel with me as he spoke. He sipped from the bowl and looked out an open window to the beautiful view of the upper ring.

Iroh's concerned look melted into a pleased smile, matching my own, at his nephew's new attitude.

***

Soon we were in an impressive tea-shop in the upper ring of Ba Sing Se. Inside the opulent building, Iroh and Zuko stood side by side, overseeing the operation, as I made tea.

Iroh smiled. "Who thought when we came to this city as refugees that I'd end up owning my own tea shop. Follow your passion and life will reward you."

Zuko cheerfully said, "Congratulations Uncle."

"I'm very thankful."

Zuko was confident. "You deserve it. The Jasmine Dragon will be the best tea shop in the city."

"No, I'm thankful because you decided to share this special day with me." Iroh put a hand on Zuko's arm. "It means more than you know."

Zuko gave him a warm hug, to Iroh's surprise and my entertainment. "Now let's make these people some tea."

Iroh smiled eagerly. "Yes! Let's make some tea!"

"Already on it," I said at I took off with the first pot of tea to serve the first seated customers.

All day long guests milled about the Jasmine Dragon Tea House, Iroh was the only one who could keep up with the demand for his tea so Zuko had been moved to busting tables, he wasn't too good at it anyway, and I was put on the doors to seat people.