5: Iroh's Burns

We'd been traveling for almost two weeks, sustained by the food Sela had given us when Zuko seemed to come about a slight change. It was definitely something others wouldn't have noticed, or expected from the gloomy prince, but I had. He'd gotten even more determined to capture the Avatar. This is why I wasn't too surprised when I was told to take the reigns so he could jump off our ostrich horse (which I had deemed Thief even though Zuko didn't approve of it) into a battle involving his sister and a kid who I could only guess was Avatar Aang by his tattoos. I, of course, agreed knowing I didn't have much choice. He'd jump either way.

Azula spoke to the Avatar as we came into the ally. "Do you really want to fight me?"

Zuko tumbled off Thief and landed in a crouching position between them. "Yes," he stood and threw his straw coolie hat away, signaling for me to get to the end of the ally. "I really do."

Aang was surprised. "Zuko!"

Azula smiled. "I was wondering when you'd show up, Zuzu."

Aang laughed a bit. "Zuzu?"

"It's not that funny..." I mumbled as I made Thief trot to the end of the ally. I turned to watch.

Zuko was in a fire-bending stance. He faced Azula, but his arms were outstretched both towards her and towards the Avatar on his other side. "Back off, Azula! He's mine!"

"I'm not going anywhere." She assumed a fire-bending stance. Zuko's eyes shifted from side to side as he scrutinized his opponents.

Azula was the first to move. She launched a blast of blue fire at Zuko, who blocked with a wall of his own fire. Zuko blocked the blast, but it knocked him to the ground with a crash. Aang freaked out and jumped into the air with his glider. Azula knocked him out of the sky a wave of blue fire.

Aang landed safely, using his staff as a helicopter blade to both break his fall and dissipate the blue fire around him. Aang rolled over on the ground to get up, but Azula landed near him after jumping off a nearby roof. He avoided her, getting up with his staff.

Zuko had gotten back up and was firing blasts at Azula as I tracked the fight. Aang was between them now. Azula launched blast after blast of blue fire at Aang, but he dodged and ran around her to avoid each blast. Several shots of fire and air flew by in rapid succession as the three traded bending blasts, none landing on their targets.

After a few moments, Azula chased Aang into the upper floor of a building. When the Princess entered, her expression turn to alarm. Azula managed to catch herself at the thresh hold, leaning precipitously over the edge.

All most the moment Azula had recovered, the Fire Prince ran in and promptly jumped into the building and a loud shout of surprise. There was a loud crash that worried me.

Suddenly, the side of the building was blown open by a blast of blue fire and Zuko was blown out onto the street, limp.

"Shit..." I mumbled. I moved to go forward but the fire and air fight was still happening and even I was no match for the crazed Princess. Soon another challenger arrived in the form of a water tribe girl who drew the fighting away from the Prince. I jumped off Thief, discarding my coolie hat, and ran for Zuko. My breath caught slightly at the sight of the unconscious Prince. I hadn't realized I was so worried about him dying until I though he had died. There was nothing I could do but sit there with him and hope he wasn't dying. I looked up at the sound of fast footsteps approaching.

"Iroh..." I breathed a sigh of relief. "I need help."

Zuko seemed to be waking up slowly. "Uncle..." He muttered.