Chapter Twenty-Two

"We need to get me out of here?" Shelby echoed. She watched Aiden rise to his feet and survey the room. "Where am I supposed to go?"

Aiden's eyes landed on her suitcase. "It would be safer for you where I'm staying. Everything is gated and no one can see in, plus there are cameras and intruder alarms. The trick is getting out of the hotel without Seraphine or someone who works for her following us."

Shelby blinked a few times. Her mind buzzed with a kaleidoscope of thoughts, all shouting for her attention at once.

"I don't understand," she said. "A few minutes ago you said it isn't safe to be seen with you here, and that's why you didn't want me at the courthouse. Now you're telling me it's safer to be with you where you're staying. Which one of these things is true?"

"Both of them," he answered. "It isn't safe for you to be seen with me as Tristan, and you won't be. I didn't get here in that ridiculous Rolls Royce, and no one's going to notice me without that or the black hair when I step outside."

"They'll notice me if I'm being watched, though," she pointed out.

"I have a plan to get you out of here without being seen with me. Do you have a hat and sunglasses?"

"It's dark outside," she reminded him. "Whatever you're planning, I'm pretty sure me wearing sunglasses at night would do more to attract attention than deflect it."

"You're right. Sorry—I'm not really thinking clearly."

Aiden rubbed his eyes. It was easy for Shelby to see he was nervous and on edge.

"Why do you think it isn't safe for me here?" she asked. "The hotel has security, and I didn't tell Seraphine I'm staying here."

"It doesn't matter that you didn't tell her." Aiden sounded certain of this. "If you ran into her at the deli, then she was tailing you all day or had someone she's working with do it and report back to her so she could arrange that meeting. Even if you didn't see her follow you down the street, I'm sure she had someone on the street who did. She knows you're staying here. I'd bet my life on that."

"Let's say she does. Why does that put me in danger?"

"She suspects you know something about me—about Tristan. She won't stop until she finds out what your connection to me is." Aiden paused, a scowl on his face. "That's going to leave you in the tabloid crossfire, even if she eventually just publishes your photo and something about you as a way to smoke out the truth."

"Wouldn't she do that anyway if I go into hiding?"

"She might." His expression softened. "I know I can't force you to come with me, but I'd feel better if I knew you were some place safe."

"You're not forcing me to come with you." Shelby's voice was quiet. "In case you didn't get the memo, I traveled a crazy distance specifically to see you. Just give me a couple of minutes to pack up my stuff." She stood up and took a step in the direction of her suitcase.

"Shel."

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry. I should have told you everything before I left L.A. I thought about it when I saw you the night before I left the first time—I swear I did. But then I couldn't find the words and I was afraid of how you'd respond and I didn't."

A memory from the night Aiden spoke of nagged at the edges of Shelby's mind. There had been a moment when he had tensed up, she remembered. There's just something. That's what he had said, and then he'd changed course. It was nothing. I don't even know where I was going with that.

Had he been starting to tell her then, before losing his nerve? Shelby turned around to look at Aiden. He was biting down on his lip, and his eyes were glassy.

"If I could do this all over again and do it differently, I would," he continued. She heard him fight to keep his voice steady. "I'm stubborn and I can be an idiot sometimes, but hurting you and putting you in danger are two things I never wanted or intended to do."

"I believe you," she whispered. She stepped closer to him, her suitcase forgotten.

Aiden closed the distance between them and wrapped his arms around her. Shelby sank into his embrace and leaned her head against his chest.

"I messed up, I know," he told her. "If there's a way for me to make this up to you, I'll find it and I will. I promise you."

He pressed his lips against the crown of her head. Shelby circled her arms around his waist and felt the tension she'd been carrying in her body ease away. It would take her time to process everything he had revealed tonight, but she wanted to erase the ache of the last few days. She didn't want to be angry anymore.

"You could make me dinner when we get to where you're staying," she murmured. "That deli sandwich isn't so appetizing anymore."

"I'll cook you anything you want."

"Good." She loosened her hold on his waist and leaned back so she could look at him. "You could kiss me, too. It's been a minute."

It was as though someone had switched a light on over Aiden. His face brightened, and to Shelby, it was like watching the sun rise at dawn.

He stroked the side of her cheek with his thumb, then tipped her chin up. His mouth brushed against hers, softly at first, sparking a gentle and sweet beginning to their kiss. Shelby's lips parted, and Aiden threaded his hands through her hair as he deepened the kiss. She tightened her arms around him, losing herself to the moment as she pushed the turmoil that surrounded them out of her mind.

A knock on the hotel room door ended their kiss. Shelby and Aiden's eyes both flew open and they broke apart, the same question written across both of their faces. Had Seraphine found Shelby's room?

There was a second knock. "Housekeeping!" a woman called out this time.

Shelby pointed at the bathroom and Aiden headed there without a word. He wasn't dressed as Tristan right now, and he didn't have black hair, but she knew they should be careful in case the woman who claimed to be from housekeeping actually worked with Seraphine.

She crept over to the door and cracked it open, just enough so she could see who she was speaking to, but not enough for the woman to see into the room.

"Yes?" Shelby inquired.

"I'm here for your evening turn-down service," the woman stated. She was dressed in the same hotel uniform Shelby had seen the room service staff wearing that morning.

"I'll pass tonight," Shelby replied. "Thank you, though."

The woman nodded and continued on to the next room. Shelby closed the door and locked it.

"All clear," she said. "I think she was legitimately from housekeeping."

Aiden stepped out of the bathroom. "We should still get you out of here. The sooner, the better."

"I'm with you," she agreed. "What's the plan?"

* * * * * * * * * * *

Jenn (author) here. Hooray! They've stopped fighting and Shelby finally knows the truth. Would you forgive Aiden like Shelby seems to have?

I'd love to hear from you and do my best to answer comments. I'd also love to hear where you are in the world as you read this!