Chapter 17: Having Faith

Start from the beginning

She huffs. "Maybe we don't have to take off so early tomorrow. Maybe Jian can enhance the team before we leave. Then he can stay here at the school."

"But what if it wears off before we get to the Interloper?" Finn protests. "You told us this morning it could take a month to track him down."

"It's not going to take that long." Rey responds reflexively. "I mean, it's possible and I want the team to understand that. But, it's not going to take that long."

"What makes you so confident?"

"Do you really have to ask?" Rey stops and pivots abruptly to face him. "I've told you, this is our golden opportunity. Now is the time to find the Interloper. We have a better chance now than we ever will. Because Ben is with him. And Finn, trust me when I tell you" she leans in, "I can find Ben. We just need to get to the unknown regions. The closer I am to him, the stronger the bond will be." Rey nods decisively. "I'll be surprised if it takes more than two days."

"Rey, I hope you're right, but you can't be completely sure of that. Otherwise, you wouldn't be running around the school like mad, micromanaging everyone's packing." He gestures wildly as he says this.

"That's not really what I'm doing. I mean, it is, but it's not all I'm doing."

Finn narrows his eyes. "What do you mean?"

Rey steps in closer, lowering her voice.

"Finn, they could die on this mission. You know that. I know that. I need to be absolutely certain each one of them knows that. More importantly, I need to know how each one of them feels about it. No one is stepping foot on that transport tomorrow if I sense just the slightest bit of hesitation tonight. Speaking of which, Meil-Ju and Liam won't be coming with us anymore."

Finn's eyes widen with a mixture of shock and concern. He steps back and drags a hand over his face.

"Rey, I know you think you're doing the right thing, but what's you're actually doing is scaring people. And for what? Slow down and think about it. Why are you doing this? Are you just trying to fool yourself into some peace of mind that everyone who volunteered is ready for this? Because I've got news for you. They're not." He takes a step towards her, gesturing with his right hand. "There's no getting around that. They've only been training for two years and most of that wasn't combat training. That's why we need Jian to come with us. Just him being there will help the team feel more confident. And not only because he can enhance everyone's connection to the Force. He just has that effect on people. You've seen that."

Rey looks down, considering Finn's words. She knows he's right.

"Listen," Finn says, resting a hand gently on her shoulder. "You know I love you like a sister, and you know I'm loyal to you. So, when I say this, please don't take it the wrong way."

Finn closes his eyes, breathing deeply before he opens them again.

"Rey— you need to calm down. Seriously. You've been marching around the school for the last three days, barking orders, lashing out at people. You're putting everyone here on edge, the team especially. The last thing we need is to take off tomorrow morning feeling like our leader is on the verge of a mental breakdown."

Rey bows her head, nodding silently as she listens. She's felt this. She's felt how her own tumultuous emotions— her raging impatience, her manic desire to find the Interloper— have bled into those around her. But she's been too preoccupied to stop and consider the effect this is having on the school, her second family, this tight-knit community she's poured her heart and soul into creating.