Delusions of Grandeur

"Shhhhhh.... my Love. Don't be afraid."

She strokes his hair back as she cradles him in her arms. Rays of light stream through the brown tendrils of hair framing her cheeks, a thick crown of braids atop her head. Her sweet smile spreads slowly across her face.

"Close your eyes," she commands softly. "Close your eyes and breathe." Sitting down, she adjusts his small body in her arms so his back presses against her chest. She wraps her arms around him and rests her chin on his head. "Breathe with me," she coos. "Breathe with me, son."

His panicked, uneven breathing begins to synchronize with hers, slow and steady.

"Concentrate," she whispers in his ear. "Concentrate on what you feel." He does. He concentrates on the warm peaceful glow pulsing gently inside of him, like a second heartbeat.

"Do you feel it?" She whispers. "Do you feel how much I love you?"

Kylo Ren's eyes open. The room is pitch black. The matt hard and cold against his bare back. He hears the low, mechanical hum of the ship all around him. He blinks. Slowly, he rolls to his side and pushes himself up, his thin, grey cover falling off. The automatic lights in his quarters flicker on. He swings his feet to the floor. He rubs his face with one hand.

Leaning over, he sighs and looks up at the ceiling. He looks down.

His mother's voice still echoes in his head. He hasn't dreamed of her in a very long time. Why now? Why that memory? Just as the question crosses his mind, so does the answer. He remembers the other night and his body stiffens. His jaw sets and his chin juts upwards slightly. For a second, he catches the scent of her hair beneath his nostrils.

In an instant, he stands, casting his life monitor to the side. He strides to the closet and begins dressing himself. Dagon arrives today. It's his first visit since Snoke's death. He must tread carefully...

Dagon is not a direct threat to his plans per se... he's not as powerful with the Force as he is. Nowhere near as powerful as Snoke was. But he is a very old worshiper of the Dark Side... ancient. Hundreds of years ancient. Old enough to have served Darth Plagueis. Old enough to have served Darth Sidious. Old enough to have witnessed his grandfather, Anakin Skywalker, become Darth Vader. Dagon is not as strong in the Force as he is, but he is strong, strong enough to be dangerous. Strong enough to merit him being on his guard... being prepared. He must conceal his intent—

For a moment, he catches a glimpse of his bare torso in the mirror and thinks of her blush. He can't stop the corners of his mouth from turning upwards.

Quickly, he suppresses the thought and finishes dressing, marching towards the door as it opens automatically. No, Dagon cannot know his endgame. It's not that he has the power to stop him himself. It's the influence he could wield over the Knights... They are all still true believers, just as they were the day they left with him, Luke's academy smoldering distantly behind them.

Back when his faith in the Force was pure... and naïve...

Kylo Ren storms through the sterile halls of the starship as though he were the only man on board. Lost in his thoughts, he brushes past cowed troopers and officers, desperate to dart out of his way.

He slows down as he reaches the command center. He walks up to General Hux and stops just behind him. His back is turned to him. He's barking orders at a couple of operators.

"Is everything prepared?" Kylo asks flatly, interrupting him.

Hux jumps a little at the sound of his voice. He turns to face him, a familiar look of annoyance registering. His eyes roll upwards and his head flits in slight confusion.