Chapter 6: Supreme Leader

The First Order officer hovers just over a foot above the ground. His hands are at his neck, grasping wildly for fingers he can feel clenched tightly around his throat... and yet, nothing is there.

He's gasping for air, but to no avail. Not even the smallest inhale can make it past those clenched fingers. His heart is racing, his lungs feel like they're about to explode... he begins to feel a dull pounding in his head. Black dots blur his vision as his eyes roll to the ceiling.

In an instant, he crashes to the floor. He cries out as a sharp pain blasts through his knee cap up into his thigh. He inhales greedily with fast, short bursts, as he shifts his weight to the left, palms pushing him from the floor. He tries to stand up, awkwardly, but there's nothing around to steady himself with and his knee is still throbbing, so he remains half kneeling on the floor.

"I've waited three years for another lead on the location of the Darkstaff," Kylo Ren says evenly. "So you can understand my disappointment upon hearing your report."

"I understand... Supreme Leader," The officer manages to say between gulps of air.

"How much did the Lorridian take with him?"

"The explosion destroyed the abode's structure, but there is much debris to be sorted through. It's possible we could recover something useful—"

"Doubtful." Kylo Ren interrupts him sharply.

He's not even facing the officer now. He's glowering out the external observation portal's expansive window, hands clasped tightly behind his back. This was not the way he expected to end his day.

The officer looks down and tries to gather his composure.

Kylo turns his head towards him slightly.

"Why are you still here?" He asks in a low, agitated tone.

The officer scrambles to his feet and hobbles away.

Kylo seethes.

This was not a complicated assignment. Find the Lorridian. Take him into First Order custody. Bring him to the command ship. He couldn't send any of his knights this time. The Force-sensitive Lorridian would have sensed them coming before their ship even touched the ground. In hindsight, perhaps that was the better option over entrusting General Hux's men with anything of importance.

Suddenly, he senses Silo walk up from behind. And with him, he senses something else... good news.

He turns a heel to face him. Silo's face glows with satisfaction as he holds out a small black case with both hands. He slides his thumb to the side and clicks the case open. Kylo's heart quickens.

The Eye of the Sun.

A small rock that could fit inside his palm is nestled in a dark cushion. At first it looks unremarkable—just a round, grey stone. Then it begins to change... the grey deepens into a thick silver and then, as though rays of light are emanating from within, the stone lightens into a golden amber. It glows steadily, with muted streams of light that seem to move in a circular motion, lighting up Kylo's face.

He takes off a glove and reaches out to touch it, very carefully, with just the tip of his middle and index fingers.

It feels warm to the touch. The streaming rays of light seem to enter his body, first at the fingertips then slowly up his arm to his heart. He feels his heartbeat slow...but he does not feel alarm. He feels a warm calm begin to overtake him as his heart continues to slow, his breath stops, and his blood feels stagnant in his veins. He stands meditating in perfect stillness.