Epilogue

He was seated in a velvet seat, the lights dim in the audience, instead centered on the beautiful ballerina dancing across the Broadway stage. He watched her intently, a smile quirking the corners of his lips.

"I love you."

He had whispered those words to her in the moments before his first departure, and since then, they had called each other every night as promised. He returned to America on occasion, most importantly when she had her first performance on Broadway. Rosario was also there, as she had said she would be.

Slowly, their phone calls and conversations grew scarce over the years until they had stopped completely.

Joy had grown busy with her new life, and it hadn't troubled Tobias one bit because he knew how happy she was. She would tell him on the nights he would spend in her apartment when he'd visit. How proud she was to be supporting herself doing something that was merely a dream out of reach at one point. She had thanked him a million times, but each time he had told her he had done nothing. She was the one who had changed, and he only have her a push.

Four years had passed since their last conversation.

Tobias had come unannounced, and here she was, still as beautiful as she was when he had first met her.

Joy ceased her movements in a gentle bow, a brilliant beam given to the audience. All stood and clapped for she as well as the other performers. Tobias rose to his feet, giving applause to the ballerina in white, glitter sparkling her eyelids to match her glittered leotard and tutu.

The curtains closed, all beginning to take their leave from the theater.

He made his way down the aisle from the middle row, climbing down stairs to get backstage. It hadn't taken much, Tobias blending with the crowd until his coffee irises rested upon the dazzling lead dancer, hugging a child to her hip. He giggled, Joy tickling his ribs and blowing kisses into his cheeks.

The young boy had light skin, and a smile just like hers. He held her hazel eyes, and shaggy, dark brown locks. At her side, a man dressed in a black and white suit stood close by, complimenting her on how gorgeous she looked. Joy looked upon him in adoration, a blush coloring her cheeks.

Having must've felt his intense stare, it was then Joy met his sights, her smile fading.

"Tobias?" She gave a gasping laugh, one of surprised bliss. She lowered the child to his feet, taking his hand instead to guide him alongside her. "Fuck, it's really you-"

Even all dressed up and in a professional environment, she hadn't lost her foul tongue, leading Tobias to simper.

"Oh-" she covered her mouth, looking to the child. "Don't say that-"

"It's lovely to see you again, Joy." He accepted the perfumed hug she engulfed him in, kissing her cheek. "I just desired to see how you were doing." He noticed the tattoo on her throat was still there, makeup smudged over it for her performance.

"Everything has been great, Tobias. I'm happy you stopped by. I had no idea- I would have made plans-" Tobias waved off her offer.

"No worries, I understand you're occupied." Tobias took in the child, Joy noticing his curiosity.

"I'm sorry, this is my son, Toby." Joy snatched up the child so that he was eye level with him. "Say hello, Toby." She cooed, the child giving a shy wave.

"What a handsome boy he is." Tobias smiled, turning to Joy. "I see he gets his striking looks from his mother." A man came behind Joy, eyeing Tobias as he wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Tobias, I've heard lots about you." He spoke, holding out his hand. Tobias took his grasp, giving him a firm shake.

"All good I hope."

"Nothing but."

Joy motioned to the man at her side, the glisten of a diamond ring catching a glint of light.

"And this is my husband, Gavin. He's a pianist. He plays at most of my performances."

Tobias grinned. "Quite a lucky man." He winked playfully, the man taking no offense to the light-hearted gesture.

"Indeed I am."

Joy couldn't believe Tobias had come to see her after four years. It wasn't that they had grown apart, but they both led very different lives. Joy grew up, slowly healing over the years. She fell in love again, with a good man. One whom she loved dearly. As dearly as she did Tobias. It took a while to trust him, she would admit she had given him the cold shoulder with his futile attempts of a date, eventually however she caved. She was glad she did because that man became the father to her beautiful boy.

Still she did struggle some days with her illnesses. It wasn't something that ever went away, and even after Gavin had seen her at her lowest, he still married her, accepting all her flaws. Her new family gave her the will every day to move forward.

Especially Toby. Toby was her light and she never knew she could feel such intense love for someone as much as she did Toby.

One thing she swore, was she would never let anyone hurt him. He would have the best childhood, and she would he damn sure he had everything she didn't. He would have all the love she could possibly give him and more.

In her spare time, she had become an instructor within the studio in which helped her gain success. Her son took classes there as well, taking as much passion in dance as she did, always watching his mother dance in awe.

Tobias had never left her mind all these years. She had told Gavin about him and how he had helped her straighten herself after a long nightmare she couldn't seem to wake up from, and still he gave her no judgement. He knew all her darkest secrets. One day she promised him that he would get to meet Tobias, she just wasn't expecting it to be today.

But today was as good as any.

He stood before her, just as warm as he's ever been. He didn't seem saddened by the fact she had started a new life, appearing happy for her instead.

All those fuzzy feelings returned in his presence, a reminiscent smile lighting up her features.

"Tobias, why don't you come over for dinner? I'm sure Gavin won't mind having a guest join us." She turned to Gavin who agreed.

"Of course, he can come over for dinner. It would be rude of me not to invite him after taking care of my wife."

"Good, 'cause we got a lot to catch up on."

"Clearly." Tobias snickered, Joy understanding it was the surprise of her child and husband. "But I would love to." He accepted, the family gathering their belongings while he strayed close behind.

Joy held her child close, Toby hugging his arms around her neck as he began to fall asleep on her shoulder. Gavin placed his son's small jacket over his frame, Joy making sure it was secure as they strode down the aisle.

Tobias watched on, pure joy filling his chest having seen her so happy amongst a family she could call her own.

To see how far she had come from seven years ago, how much she accomplished.

He was proud of her to have overcome the challenges she faced and live up to her name.

Joy. Once a facade of happiness, now radiant and warm like the sun.

She glanced over at Tobias, a dazzling smile given to him.

And he would do it all over again for her.