Chapter Ten: A Gift of Encouragement

He engulfed the slumped body before her staggering being could hit the floor, Tobias petting the back of her head and easing her onto the bed.

His tongue licked the remains of blood droplets along his lips, swallowing the dryness already beginning to form in his throat. The blissful sensation of being quench never lasted, and he's come to adjust to that. He's rarely ever taken enough blood to harm his victims, and those he took blood from were never unwilling. He would always let them go if they were uncomfortable. He couldn't live with himself if he ever forced the process on someone.

His glowing irises casted to the brunette curled comfortably on the mattress, giving a content sigh. She was a girl he had encountered along where street walkers gathered. Easy and willing prey. He didn't like to do such things to them, no, but he needed to survive when there were no blood bags about. He left a hefty tip on the nightstand, fishing for his clothes that were lazily thrown aside, his garments scattered about.

His hazy gaze turned to the frost covered window, a smile working his way to his lips that still cradled his fangs.

It was the night before Christmas, a holiday unimportant to him and his vampire family, (with the exception of Ophelia and Marissa of course) but celebrated and adored by most humans. He knew Joy wasn't one for festivities either, however, he had already planned on getting her a gift.

His gaze shifted to the box on the nightstand, one elegantly wrapped in white paper and topped with a pink bow.

"That's for a girl isn't it? I don't think she'd be too happy to know her boyfriend was fooling around like this."

Tobias soon became frazzled after the prostitute mentioned him being Joy's lover and quickly explains himself.

"No, no nothing like that. She's a close friend..."

The gift was something he hoped Joy would like.

He quickly snatched up the box and left the rundown motel, fleeing to his car. He drove down to the club where Joy should have just ended her shift.

As predicted, a few short minutes after his arrival, she stumbled out of the club in her black heels, steadying herself against the wall.

Tobias was leaning against his car, giving her a little wave over to him.

Joy was the slightest bit of hazy, but coherent since she strut towards him, so she probably didn't have too much to drink.

"It's not Friday, what the hell are you doing here?" She questioned, hugging her fur coat closer to her poorly clothed being.

"I wanted to see you." Joy sighed heavily, tilting her head back towards the sky and clenching her eyes shut.

"Tobias, I told you Isaiah is gonna start-"

"It's Christmas Eve, I have a present for you." He blurted out, Joy raising a brow. "I figured I wouldn't be able to see you tomorrow since you would most likely be with Isaiah, so I wanted to give it to you tonight."

Joy snorted, a grin framing her beautiful features. "Give it to me, huh?"

Tobias rolled his eyes, unable to hide the hint of amusement that lit up his features as he opened the passengers side door.

"It's cold out here." Joy got into his car without argument, huffing in relief when the heat airing from the vents flowed against her goose bump covered skin.