Chapter Thirteen: Guilty Verdict

Tobias gave one firm slam of his body to the locked door when she didn't answer, breaking the lock and bursting into her apartment. He witnessed an unconscious Joy collapsed near the couch. Blood oozed from her nose, her mouth was foaming. Her head was lulling from side to side.

He couldn't get to her fast enough, enveloping the woman, unsure what to do. He could hear her erratic pulse, his brows furrowed in worry. His throat was tight, shaking Joy awake. His lips were pressed to her hair calling out her name and asking her to open her eyes, but she wouldn't respond.

The neighbors across the hall opened the door to see what all the commotion was, Tobias snapping his watery eyes over his shoulder.

"Call an ambulance!"

He hadn't seen her at the club for a while, and sometimes he would look for her on the streets, but she was scarce. He checked her apartment a few times, but it was always empty. She was never home. He hadn't seen her anywhere and was growing worried. He expressed this to Jon, but after their last meeting, Jon was reluctant to assist him.

"Please, I think something is wrong." He prodded, and he was right.

Holding her limp body proved so, and waiting for an ambulance was tortuous.

Jon decided to participate when Tobias pleaded. They split up, searching the avenues she was usually seen on. Then Jon saw her, leant over and speaking to someone in a car. From her revealing black dress, he knew she wasn't just dancing anymore. She climbed into the car, Jon tailing the car at a distance to be certain. Sure enough, she was selling herself now. It most likely wasn't at her free will. She was doing it in exchange for her next dose and a roof over her head, that was how it worked.

When she was done, she stumbled out, the once fiery light in her eyes gone. They were dull, very doll like.

She was walking down the street when another car pulled up, honking at her. From the voice of the driver, it was Isaiah. He beckoned her in, Joy sinking into the vehicle. Jon slid down in his seat, watching the scene unfold before him, his sights could see beyond the tint of the window, allowing him to visualize Joy handing him crumpled bills in exchange for cocaine.

This was all he needed to convict Isaiah. He could have gotten out of the car and stopped him, but he didn't. He couldn't cause a scene with others around, especially not when he was on the verge of executing this scum. The last thing he'd wish to do is set off alarms. He needed to plan this thoroughly. Thus, he merely followed them, Joy dropped off at the apartment. He called Tobias, informed him of the news, and told him that they would meet at her apartment building. Jon had called Ophelia as well, telling her to begin preparation for the execution, for vampires meddling with human trafficking affairs was punishable by death. More than Isaiah would die tonight, and he needed to get all the information he could on the rest of the assailants.

He had waited for Tobias to arrive safely, then sped off to plan with his Queen.

It hadn't been long after that, that he received the frantic call from Tobias.

Joy had been seizing after an apparent overdose of cocaine, Tobias finding her barely breathing.

She needed chest compressions mid ride to the hospital, her heart stopping more than once. It was miraculous she survived, but his poor Tobias was a mess. He was still shaking with nerves.

"Thank you for coming, I know you're busy." Tobias was sitting at the quiet bedside of Joy. He held her hand, stroking his thumb over her knuckles.