Chapter 3

Sherlock's hand dangled over the bed. John was right, Sherlock had the flu but he had done way too much. John had seen worse cases but not in a while. I had warned him, John thought to himself. He chuckled, he never listens. John was sitting on the floor by Sherlock's bed absentmindedly playing with Sherlock's hand. It took him a while to realise what he was doing. It seemed natural. He was about to stop but then he remembered, Sherlock wasn't even awake yet. What he didn't know wouldn't hurt him. John gazed at Sherlock hand, it fit perfectly in his. His long white fingers stuck out but John could imagine them wrapped around his hand. He smiled at that thought.

John had been sitting there for a good hour, holding Sherlock's hand and smiling, until he heard Sherlock's voice. "John?" he questioned. His first word was John. John smiled like a lovesick teenage girl and quickly let go of his hand and stood up. "How are you feeling mate?" He asked "The paramedics confirmed my diagnosis. I had to call them. Just in case. You do have flu and pretty bad as well. You did way too much, like I said." John rambled; he was worried about Sherlock hence the rambling. "I'm fine John." Sherlock insisted "Stop worrying." He said and attempted a smile ignoring the pounding in his head. "Water and paracetamol on there" John said gesturing to the bedside table almost reading his mind. "It seems pointless asking but, would you like something to eat?" He asked waiting for the inevitable no. Sherlock gently shook his head trying not to make himself dizzy. "I'll let you rest now. You definitely need it." He turned to go but remembered something and turned back. "Also before you try, I called Lestrade. He has been told to ignore all bribes and threats from you. I've made sure that he has told everyone at Scotland Yard and any nearby police forces this information as well." John said turning to the door with a worried smile. He had hoped Sherlock hadn't noticed him holding his hand.

John wasn't to know that Sherlock had been awake for at least half an hour, holding his hand, before he finally spoke.