11. Plan B

Song: Ocean Eyes by Billie Eilish

Noah and I spend the next few hours practically clawing at the walls, looking for any way possible to escape. Noah even tries his best to bend the bars on the window to no avail. When we realize that the solid metal door is the only way to possibly exit, though, we collapse back onto the little, metal, cot.

"I can't believe that this is happening," I mumble.

Noah lets out a deep sigh, pulling me close to his chest. "If we had never taken you, this wouldn't be happening."

I curl into him, thinking. After a moment, I look up to him, gazing into if bright, blue, eyes. "That's true, but honestly, I think I only have one regret. I only have one thing that I would have changed."

His hand comes up, smoothing some hair off of my forehead. "What is it?" He asks.

"I would have went through with my plan to escape the house." As I say this, his smile falls a little. "But, when I left, I would have taken you with me. Emma would be yours. I would have never had to go through all of the shit with Kade. I would have never hurt you. I should have given you a chance from the beginning. You're the one that I should have shared everything with."

He lets out a soft laugh, running the tips of his fingers under the edge of my shirt, across my bare skin. I shiver a little from the sensation on his tender touch. "If only we could turn back time, huh?" He pauses for a moment. "I would have definitely ran with you. We could have left this whole mess behind, but Iris, what made you make up your mind so fast? Are you sure you are ready for another relationship?"

I stare up at Noah, picturing the way that he shoved me behind him and stood in front of the gun to protect Emma and I, and my heart sinks into my stomach. "I'm not ready to move very fast," I say. "But, the moment that bitch pulled the trigger, every second that we have ever spent together flashed through my mind, and just the thought of never being able to see you again, smiling and laughing, or rambling about random things-" I cut off, feeling tears well up in my eyes. "That was terrifying, Noah. I don't want to waste another day not letting you know how I feel. Losing my dad and almost losing you all in the same day made me realize that no one ever has as much time as they think they do."

Noah lets out a soft chuckle as he pulls me to him, tighter. "All I had to do to get you to admit that was jump in front of a gun? I should have done it sooner."

I roll my eyes at him, laughing. "Shut up," I mumble just before he presses his lips to mine.

He kisses me gently for a moment. It's not a hot and heavy passionate kiss, like the one from earlier though. It's loving and gentle. Our lips part, not even an inch. He grazes his thumb across my jawline, softly rubbing his nose against mine. "We will go as slow as you need, Baby Girl. You set the pace."

I press my lips to him again, longing to feel him closer and close with every passing second. I get so lost on his lips that I don't even hear the door open.

"Hey, Guys!" A woman's voice exclaims from the other side of the room.

Noah jerks away from me quickly, sitting up. "Why are we here?" He snaps, realizing that my mother has entered the room.

She giggles as she speaks. "What do you mean, Silly Boy? I brought you guys here so we could all be a family."

I stare at her, confused. "But, why did you have to sedate us and lock us up to do that?"

Her expression darkens, and I feel the hairs on the back of my neck raise. This woman is even more bipolar than Kade. "So you couldn't try and leave me like your father did. He took you from me when you were just a baby, and now that you are pregnant with a beautiful baby girl, I have a chance to start over."

My stomach flips. "But, Mom," I insist, trying to act sweet. "What happens when I go into labor? Can I not go to the hospital?"

I hear her demented giggle again and she shrugs. "I'm sure you can do it here. If not, I'll just have to cut the baby out."

"The hell you will!" Noah roars, shooting up. "You're fucking insane if you think-"

Her arm swings up quickly, and an electric zapping noise fills the room. I watch as Noah's body tenses, and then he drops to the ground with a hard thud.

"What the hell?" I exclaim, rushing to his side. He groans in pain as I smooth the hair off of his forehead. "Why did you do that for?" I shout, looking up to the twisted woman.

She grins down at me. "Oh, come on, Honey. All I did was tase him. Keep him in check, and it wont happen again. I just came in here to ask you what you want for dinner."

I want to scream at her. I want to tackle her to the ground and wrap my bare hands around her throat right now. What if the tases me, too though? Could that affect Emma?

I nod to her. "OK, Mom. I'll watch him. Do you have the stuff to make spaghetti? I really love pasta."

"Oh!" She exclaims, clapping with the taser the taser in her hand. I wish it would go off and hit her in the face. "Yes, I do! I love spaghetti, too. I'll get it started, now!"

Noah stays down until she is gone. When the door finally closes, I glance back down to him. "Are you OK?" I ask, worriedly.

He gives me a forced smile. "I'm peachy."

I frown. "Don't lie, Dummy. Come on, let me help you up."

I grab his hand and we stand together.

"So, what do we do now?" He asks, glancing around.

I let out a long sigh. "I don't know.  Think of a new plan, I guess."

When he doesn't respond, I notice him staring at something, and I follow his gaze to the cot. "Do you think that we could unscrew the bars off of that cot with out hands?"

I smile instantly, knowing exactly where he is going with this. "It's worth a try."

We sit in the floor beside the cot we have flipped over. The legs face upwards as Noah and I work the bolts and screws out of the black, metal bars.

"I got one!" Noah exclaims, finally, holding it up for me to see. It's thick and looks to be about four feet long.

I grin. "That should do it. Now, who is going to be the one to hide behind the door.

He raises his eyebrows. "Uhm, me, of course. I'm not letting you do that."

I nod. "OK, OK, I was just asking."

"Should I go ahead and wait now?" He asks.

I shrug. "Probably. There's no telling when she will be back. It should be soon though since she is making us food."

"Alright, here we go then," he mumbles, leaning over to give me a quick kiss. I stand and flip the cot back over to where it looks normal from the door. I just can't sit on it since it's missing a leg now.

Noah crouches behind the door, and silence falls over the room as we wait. It feels like forever before we hear locks begin to click on the other side of the door. My eyes grow wide as I stare at Noah, but he gives me a confident expression and nods, tightening his grip onto the bar.

A few more seconds pass, and the door swings open.