3. Flashbacks

Song: We Don't Talk Anymore by Charlie Puth ft. Selena Gomez

"Ready to go?" Noah asks, walking into the kitchen.

I turn to look at him, mouth full of my sandwich. "Yes," I mumble, nodding.

He chuckles. "Want me to let you finish your snack first?"

I shake my head, swallowing. "No, that was all of it. I'm done. Let me grab my purse."

"Here," he says, taking it from the table. "I've got it."

"Oh," I say, smiling. "Thanks."

Kade left for work about an hour ago, and him and I have already thoroughly said our goodbyes for the day, so we leave the house, and I lock the door behind us. "Oh, man," Noah says. "It's raining pretty hard."

"I love rain," I reply. "Stormy weather is my favorite."

"Let me bring the car to the steps for you," Noah says, rushing out to the car.

"I'm fine," I reply, following.

We reach the car, and he opens my door. "I didn't want you to get soaked and sick," he mumbles.

I laugh, sliding into the passenger seat. "I'm fine. Thank you."

This is the part that I dread- The thirty minute car ride to Sage and Cole's with just Noah and I in the vehicle. What if he tries to bring up what happened between us a couple of months ago, after he found out I was pregnant? Not even Kade knows about that. It's not that I don't want to tell him what happened. It's just that I don't want him to try and murder Noah.

"Alright," Noah says, pulling his door shut. "Here's your purse. Do you have everything?"

I nod. "Yep, let's hit the road." When I say this, I am trying to sound positive and excited. Instead, I just sound nervous and awkward.

Noah begins to pull out of the driveway, and his hand comes up to the knob. "Oh, I love this song," he says grinning over to me.

Yes. Music. Something to fill the awkward silence and cool the tension. 

About half-way to Sage and Cole's house, I begin to think that he isn't going to speak at all throughout the ride. Then, he proves me wrong. "Can I talk to you about something, Iris?" He says, turning the radio down.

Oh, god. Here it comes. This is the first time we have been alone since it happened. He is going to bring it up.

2 Months Ago

"Kade, I'm sorry!" I shout, tears streaming down my face. "You know I haven't had a lot of time, though. Being pregnant is making me exhausted. Plus I do my college work and I take care of the house, and when ever I'm able to be awake or not busy, you're at work!"

"That's bullshit!" Kade snaps back at me. I flinch at his harsh tone. He strides across our bedroom floor,bringing his reddened face to mine. "You don't even want to spend time with me anymore. Are you fucking someone else? Is the baby even mine?"

My mouth falls open. "K-Kade, why are you saying this kind of stuff. Have you been taking your meds?"

As the words leave my mouth, I see a flash of burning hatred flicker across his face. When he responds, it's nearly a scream. "I don't need my fucking meds! I need you to stop ignoring me all of the time!"

I fall bad onto the bed, shaking. He has never hit me before, but this is the first time I have seen him so angry. What if he tries to swing, and he hits me in the stomach?