55th Chapter ♣ Not Over Yet

Start from the beginning

Her eyes narrowed the former fifth's way as she tried to discern what was wrong. It simply didn't add up. "I don't want any trouble."

"Why?" Courtney crossed her arms. "If you didn't want trouble, then you shouldn't have started it."

"For the last time," she began, getting irritated.

It felt frustrating. Without any solid evidence, she would only be brushed off. When trying to convince this girl, she seemed the type which one would need evidence as sold as a diamond to sway.

"I never did anything, alright? I never planned anything and I never will." She took a deep, calming breath. For now, she would have to choose to walk away. "Now, I really have important things to do today. I want to finish them before Corvan starts screaming in my ear."

She spun, turning her back on the former fifth-ranker. She started to take long strides away when Courtney spoke again.

"Don't turn your back on me when I'm still talking to you," she said.

"It's alright, Valeriana," Chavi whispered. "Don't listen."

Valeriana took another deep breath, trying to keep her wits where they should be. Right now, however, her hands were trembling—not from anger, but frustration. She wanted to scream, but it wasn't like that would do anything useful.

"I don't know what Julian is spouting but I didn't do it," she told her. "What will it take for you to believe me? What will it take for you to see?" She clenched her fists and resisted the urge to punch the other girl.

"These arguments are nonsense. If you wish to prove your innocence, fight me."

Valeriana's eyes narrowed.

"Right here." Courtney paused as her eyes further narrowed, lips quirking mockingly. "Right now."

Fighting outside a duel was against the rules.

"You can't expect me to bite that trap," Valeriana answered. "Fighting won't prove my innocence. It doesn't present evidence, just violence."

"In this situation, do you think that applies?" Courtney asked, stepping forward.

The energy rippled and seemed to be getting a bit wilder. Valeriana no longer had any doubts.

"If you're innocent, then prove it to me. Through a fight."

"Is that a challenge?"

The two glared at each other furiously. Courtney's eyes carried unprecedented sharpness and resilience—but Valeriana's did too. And at the moment, their gazes were trained to one another—unyielding, unwilling to back down.

The spectators grew wary. Even Chavi could not hide her anxiety.

"Val, how about we leave now? I'll call the headmaster to step in for you—"

Valeriana cut her off by holding out a hand that stopped her amidst her speech. "Don't," she said. "I'm sorry for having you involved, but this is my problem." She turned to the former fifth. "Now, please, Courtney, I don't want to fight you. I'll present you a solid evidence in due time."

"When is that going to be? After you escape? After you leave? I don't trust you."

Courtney's eyes never left hers. The tension was reaching its culmination. She wouldn't dare initiate the fight, but it was beyond doubt Courtney would. She had been acting far more reckless than ever that she didn't even bother asking for a proper duel. As to why she was acting so bloodthirsty, Valeriana got a hunch, but she wasn't willing to finish the thought.