14th Chapter ♣ Getting Started

The Celestial Circle is composed of twelve ranks—from First-ranker, to Twelfth-ranker."

CHAPTER FOURTEEN ♣ GETTING STARTED

Valeriana told the healer that she wanted to rest, but no matter how much she tried to fall asleep, her brain just wouldn't comply. She kept on tossing and turning on her bed, for instead of slumber, her mind was somewhere else. She was sure she looked like a mess. Lacking sleep always made her look horrible.

She made a guttural sound in the back of her throat in frustration and sat up. Raking her hands through her hair, she pulled her arm back and stared at the bracelet around her wrist.

A million questions swarmed inside her head and kept sleep at bay. She wouldn't be able to rest soundly if there were a lot of things she needed to know about. She was grateful that she was still alive, but the pressure was just too much.

She stared at the golden band around her wrist, tracing the aesthetic design. There was a repeating illustration of a deer and a creature that somehow looked like a horse galloping in front of a tree with roses blooming from its branches. It was a weird but a beautiful kind of art.

If it wasn't for Seraphina, she would have never come out in one piece.

Her wounds were all healing favorably. There were a few that the healer managed to properly close, leaving a few scars in return.

Three, gentle knocks interrupted her line of thought. Valeriana dragged her gaze wearily to its direction as the door opened and she spotted Seraphina. Her cerulean blue eyes peeked into the room curiously, traveling towards Valeriana's. The girl caught her gaze and gave her a weak smile before nodding.

"It's almost time for class," Seraphina said as she entered, a bundle of clean and bright clothes folded in her arms. "I brought this with me. This will be your uniform. The rest of these are extras. Please use it sparingly."

She was clad in clothes different from the ones Valeriana last saw her in. This was less formal in comparison to her uniform. Aside from that, nothing changed that much.

"Oh, thanks." She sighed again. She forgot about the classes.

"Classes are five days a week, and nine hours every day—starting from eight in the morning up to five in the afternoon."

"I . . . understand," she hesitantly answered. "How's Courtney doing?"

Seraphina placed the clothes on Valeriana's bed and took a seat herself. "Well, considering what happened a while ago, she is still under confinement. She's fine. But she needs time to recuperate mentally."

"I see," Valeriana whispered, her thoughts forming a ridiculous idea. "Is there any chance I can . . . visit her?" she asked, giving the lady knight a look as her voice trailed off.

Seraphina stared into her eyes before shaking her head. "I do not think it's a good idea to do that right now."

"Okay, but I just wanted to . . ." She swallowed dryly. "Apologize, I guess."

"Let Courtney come to you. I'm sure sooner or later you'll see each other. However, she's leaving by the end of the day."

Valeriana perked up. "What? Why?"

"The suspension."

"The—oh." She stopped.

"So how's your foot?" Seraphina inquired, changing the topic.