Remembrance of Spells Cast

Start from the beginning

For a second, I see my sister out of the corner of my eye look up from her book, and I follow her line of sight to Faith sitting right next to me.

What's she doing? Why is she looking over at Faith like that? She... she doesn't need to look at Faith like that. Even if it is a worried, strange look like the one that she's giving Faith now. There's... there's no reason for it. Why is she doing that?

Buffy looks down at her book again, going back to reading.

I... have to do something about this. There has to be something I can do to get Candy to admit to whatever it is that she's done to the woman I love. I can't let her get away with this. She needs to get the crap kicked out of her by someone who can actually do the kicking. I'd do it myself if I thought I could get away with it, because I know she did it. I just wish that the research was going somewhere that I could prove that.

Faith shuts her book with authority and a groan of frustration.

"We're not getting anywhere."

My sister, Willow and the rest of the slayers who are researching with us look up at Faith because of her comment. Buffy's the first person to say anything.

"Not yet, but we will Faith. Don't worry. Whatever this is, we'll figure it out."

Faith sits back in her chair with authority.

"Yeah, sure we will."

Buffy tries to reassure the woman I love.

"We will."

"Right... and while we're wasting our time trying to research something we don't understand or have any real leads to, I have to spend all my time with a mystical dagger over my head."

She's right. I don't like Faith like this.

"Faith's right. There has to be something else we can do."

My girlfriend looks at me and smiles, knowing I'm supporting her. Buffy gets up from her seat, closing her book.

"We're doing the best thing we can right now. All we have to do is find out what spell did this to you and reverse it. Then we'll kick the ass of whatever did this to you."

I can't help but look over in Candy's direction.

Or whoever... if only I could prove that Candy did this to Faith, we could skip over the reversing the spell part and go straight to the beating her up for doing this to Faith, and to me.

"Or we could just skip that part and go straight to the ass kicking part."

Buffy seems a little confused by that statement.

"What are you talking about Faith?"

Faith stands up to meet my sister.

"We've been so focused on what the spell is, that we haven't really bothered to try and figure out who cast the spell in the first place."

Willow comes rushing to my sister's defense.

"The spell could've been performed by anyone. And whoever did it probably doesn't even know they've done it. I mean, where would we even start figuring out who did it?"

So... not trying is better?

"Well, I guess the best idea we can have is not even trying. Because you know, what we're doing is working out so well."

My sister gets really annoyed with my girlfriend. She crosses her arms at Faith.

"All right, if you wanna go that route, why don't you tell us where to start?"