6. The Quickening

Start from the beginning

Around ten, though, when I go to my room to get ready for bed, the depression begins creeping back. I try to remember Cole's words from earlier and shake it off, slipping my phone out of my pocket. I should really look at those messages from Damian and Noah. That's a little overdue.

*Damian:

-Hey, I was just checking on you today

-Are you OK, Iris?

-I forgot how boring it is here without you to bug

-Be ready in the morning around 8. I'll be there to pick you up so that we can leave to your dad's

*Noah:

-Good Morning

-I miss seeing you around the house. What happened between you and Boss? Damian wouldn't tell me.

-I took off work for the next few days to come with you. Is it OK if I do? 

I sigh, texting Damian back first.

*Iris: Hey, sorry I've been MIA. I just needed some time. I'll be ready in the morning. Thanks for everything, Damian.

His text arrives almost immediately after.

*Damian: No problem. Good night! See you in the morning.

After reading his text, I decide to text Noah back, but what should I say to him? I mean, I could tell him what happened, but other than that, what? I don't want him to think that just because we are both single now, we are going to get together. I need time to adjust, and I honestly don't even know how I feel about anything or anyone besides the little human in my belly.

*Iris: Hey Noah. Sorry I haven't texted back. I just needed some time. You can come tomorrow. It'll be more fun if it's the three of us!

I press send on the message, and just moments after, my phone begins to ring. I glance down at the screen and see that it's Noah calling.

"Hello," I answer, confused. He has never called me before.

"Uh, hey," he says, nervously from the other side of the phone. I can't see him, but I just know that he is doing that nervous habit where he paces slowly, rubbing the back of his neck. "So," he says, hesitating for a moment. I lay back on the bed, covering myself up and getting comfy. "W-What happened?"

I sigh, heavily. I should have known that's why he called. "I don't know," I mumble. "Kade told me that the only reason he proposed was because I was pregnant, and then he said that a couple of months ago, he got drunk and slept with some girl. That's when I told him I kissed you on accident, and then he had the nerve to get mad about that. He told me to get out, and now, I need to find a job, because I don't want to impose on Sage and Cole. They finally have their own place, and now I'm here, crowding them. I know they don't see it that way, but that's how it feels."

"When we get back from your dad's, you're moving out," he says, bluntly.

I laugh. "With what money? I don't even have anything set up for the baby, yet. I'm already a terrible mother."

"Boss told me that he would be gone for a few days before he left yesterday. Come back for tonight. You're not a terrible mother. I have money put back. I'll help you with a deposit and first month's rent. I had it put back for me to move out, but you need it more right now."

"No," I say, firmly. "No to all of that. What if he comes back when I'm there? I couldn't stomach it, and I am definitely not taking your money. I'll make my own."