Settling in

Gabe followed Jack down the long hallways, pushing his hands into his pockets. He felt exposed in this new outfit, but it was comfortable.

Jack paused in front of a door and brought out a set of keys. He unlocked the door, swinging it open to reveal a nice little room inside. There was a small bed, dresser, nightstand, and even a bathroom on the side. He flicked the light switch on, illuminating the room.

"Well, here we are. I'm next door if you need me." Jack grinned, leaving him and going to his room.

Gabe nodded, closing the door behind him. He didn't realize how exhausted he was until he flopped onto bed. He hasn't slept in days, constantly kept awake by the nightmares of his past. Now, he finally closed his eyes and dozed off.

-Later-

No! No no no, not again! Stop it! Leave me alone!

Gabe twisted in his bed, feeling his form slip. Black fog was swirling around him, making him practically see-through. He grit his teeth as the nightmare wracked his brain, causing him to lose control. His eyes glowed brightly and he shot up out of the bed. Stumbling around, he accidentally knocked over the lamp, causing a loud crash.

Soon enough, Jack burst into the room. "What's wrong?!"

Gabe glared at him, gripping the nightstand and growling. "Stay... away from... me. Don't.. want to hurt... you.."

"What's happening?" Jack exclaimed, watching as the black fog swirled around Gabe's body.

"I'm a MONSTER Jack.... Can't.. you...see?" Gabe snarled, his teeth seeming to grow sharp. "I-I can't control... it.."

"Can't control what? Gabe, you're not a monster! Calm down!" Jack said, fear building within him.

"I can't... agh!" Gabe bent over, clutching his head. He snarled louder, leaping at Jack and pinning him against the wall.

Jack held his breath, the black fog surrounding him and starting to suffocate him. He stared into Gabe's bright eyes, hoping he could snap him out of it.

"Gabe listen to me! You are NOT a monster. You are just like me! I care about you! I-I love you..." He mumbled, looking down.

Gabe froze, his eyes widening. He crumpled to the ground, the fog disappearing. He took in a shaky breath and curled up, covering his face.

Jack breathed, air flowing through his lungs again. He looked down at Gabe, crouching down next to him. He heard light sobs coming from him and felt bad for him. He hesitated at first, but then placed his hand on his back. He lightly stroked it, feeling the shivers go away.

"There there, you're okay... Everything's alright." He soothed, pulling him closer.

Gabe pressed his head against Jack's chest, feeling the comforting warmth within. "I-I didn't hurt you, d-did I?" He stuttered, fear gripping him like an iron fist.

"No, of course not! I'm fine." Jack said, fighting back his fears. He pulled Gabe closer to him, hugging him close.

Gabe felt safe again, holding onto Jack's arm. He took a deep breath, calming himself down.

"That's it. You want to go on the bed where it's more comfortable?" Jack asked.

Gabe nodded, slowly standing up. Jack held him as they went over to the bed and lay down on it.

"Does that happen a lot?" Jack asked, propping his head up on a pillow. The bed was too small for him, so his feet were dangling off the edge.

"Yeah, almost every day.." Gabe muttered, looking at Jack.

"I'm sorry... I should've stayed with you so that you didn't have to go through this.." Jack sighed, looking away.

Gabe shifted closer on the bed. "It's okay, I'm trying to learn how to control it. It's just harder than I thought."

Jack smiled, holding Gabe's hand. "I'll help you through it."

Gabe tilted his head in confusion. "Why are you acting so nice towards me?"

Jack shrugged. "I don't know, old habits die hard I guess." He grinned, his eyes twinkling.

Gabe glanced away. "So you've always had feelings for me this whole time?" He pushed back his ruffled hair, loosening his shoulders.

Jack nodded, his scarred mouth twisting into a slight smile.

Gabe's yellow gaze softened and he smiled, feeling his face grow hot. He quickly looked away, seeing that Jack was blushing too.

"I'll stay here until you feel safe again, Alright?" Jack whispered, kissing Gabe on the cheek.

Gabe reeled backwards, almost falling off the bed. He froze, not knowing what to do.

Jack chuckled. "Didn't see that coming, did ya?"

Gabe snapped out of his trance and chuckled. "Nope. But now I want more." He smiled, leaning in closer.

Their lips met in a kiss. Jack wrapped his arms around Gabe's shoulders, hugging him close. They both tensed up when they heard the door open.

"Everything alright in... here?" Mercy gasped, staring at the scene in front of her.

The two immediately separated, blushing madly.

"I-it's not what it looks like!" Gabe pleaded, hiding his embarrassment.

"Yeah, Gabe j-just had a meltdown and n-needed to be calmed down!" Jack stuttered, his face getting as red as a tomato.

"Guys it's fine! I won't tell anyone." Mercy giggled, walking into the room.

"Please don't tell Ana! She'll beat the crap outta me if she sees me kissing him!" Jack complained, sitting up on the bed.

"I won't, calm down! You two are so funny." Mercy replied, pulling out a wad of bandages. "You forgot to come back for these."

Gabe groaned. "Oh, right."

Mercy came over and lifted his shirt so she could rewrap his torso. She put smaller bandages on his arms and legs and checked on the stitches.

"There, I'll leave you two alone now. Come to me if there's any more problems okay?" She smiled, gently closing the door.

Gabe sighed in relief, falling back on the bed. "Man, we looked like total idiots back there."

"Yeah, but it was worth it." Jack said, laying back on the bed next to him.