White-Eyed

Midas threw his arm around Frank's shoulders, and Frank didn't bother shrugging him off yet. Midas had no sense of personal space. Was it a demon thing or just him?

"You're not keen on physical contact, are you Frank?"

"No, not really." Especially demons. Who in their right mind wanted a demon hanging all over them?

Midas feigned insult, "Well, I've never met someone who didn't like contact as much as you. A bit, rude, don't you think?"

"No." Frank thought it was perfectly reasonable. It was his bubble and people needed to respect that. It wasn't asking for much.

Blessedly, Mida dropped it and started chattering on about someone he'd recently made a deal with. Frank didn't want to pay attention to that. He was too busy staring at the glob of wasabi on his plate. Frank loved the stuff and used to have a competition with his grandkids to see who could eat the most without it making them tear up. The nostalgia made his stomach turn at the thought of eating any more of it.

Marein seemed to notice and stared at Frank. Frank felt some bussing in his head followed by Marein speaking up. "Do you want me to put it out of sight? If it's making you uncomfortable, I mean."

How did he--? Frank shook his head, guarded now. "No, thank you."

"Oh! He doesn't know what you can do, does he?" Midas crowed, "How interesting."

Marein seemed sheepish but fessed up. "Vampires have the ability to manipulate people's minds, but it also gives us a little insight into what's going on upstairs. I didn't change anything though, promise."

Frank was unnerved by the prospect of someone digging around in his head. "Well, knock it off. It's my head for a reason, and my thoughts are my own."

Marein held his hands up placatingly. "Won't happen again."

"See that it doesn't," he snapped. Some things were meant to be private; Frank's memories were meant to stay that way. Frank pushed his plate away and got to his feet, ignoring the creaking in his knees and ankles. He wanted out. Now. Whether Marein went with him or not. "I'll see you at home."

"Frank, wait." Marein moved to follow, but one look from Frank stopped him. "I'll see you in a little while."

Frank ignored him and continued no his way. He wanted no part in this right now.

Midas leaned in, brow raised. When Marein looked at Midas, he saw his dead brother, a fact that had set him on edge for years before they got to know one another. Now, it just made him feel slightly sad. Centuries or not, you never get over those you lose. Not really. "You know we're not allowed to leave him alone, right? We all decided that. Do I need to follow him for you?"

"I don't think he trusts you enough yet for us to get away with that. I'll just finish up here and hurry home."

"Want me to come with you?"

Marein gave him a look. "I just said he doesn't trust you and you want to go home with me? What is your fascination with him?" His expression darkened, eyes flashing white. "You're not planning on hurting him, are you? If you try something, I swear, I--"

"Relax, Marein. I don't plan to hurt him."

"Says the demon."

"Hey, that's Dæmonist," he chided, teasing.

"Am I wrong though?" he asked, brow raised.

"Maybe."

"Then you understand my concern." Frank was to be watched, not killed or consumed.

Midas deflated, a pout forming. "I do know better than to touch him."

"But will you?"

"No." Not yet, Midas thought.

"If you'll excuse me, I should get going." Marein laid a stack of bills on the table and then stood to leave. He needed to get to Frank's place. "Knowing you, I'll see you later, Midas."

Midas' cheshire grin was back. "So soon? Marein, you wound me if you think I'm that obvious."

"You're that obvious," he deadpanned, lips twitching towards a smile. He really did need to get going. Without another word, he turned and left the restaurant. Marein planned to take his time; there was no rush. He trusted Frank enough to not say anything, but with the state he was in, Marein doubted that he'd say anything at all to anyone.