8. A Guys Name

Začať od začiatku

"Can we go watch?"

"And scar your innocence?" Edward questioned sarcastically. "I think not. Besides, we have jobs to do."

I rolled my eyes and walked past him, out the back door. I should start making my way to the performing stage and help set up anything that needs it. Edward jogged up behind me.

It was almost noon, about half an hour away and the park wasn't as filled around the edges with people because they were making their way to the show.

"Maybe we can pitch Donnie in the show some time. The other orcas don't do what he does. They just swim around and look pretty."

"Hey, I've seen Squirt jump before." I defended.

"Whales aren't very fond in performing, is my point."

We walked to the center of the huge park, entering the back stage. The set up was like a huge rock cave kind of theme that tacked on a lagoon as the animals performing tank. It was built high and tropical to give it kind of like a Bahamas feel.

"Marley!"

I looked around to who was calling my name and smiled when I found Kena.

"Hey. I thought you would've left since I showed up after all." I called back. She ran up to us, her smile dropping when she looks at my shirt.

Well, not my shirt. "Edward, huh?" She teased. "Isn't that a guys name?"

"So is 'Marley'." I stated. "But it's still cool."

Kena's eyes danced between Edward and I, her eyebrows raising, until he cleared his throat and spoke up.

"I'm gonna go see if-"

"Edward." A high shrilled voice called, stopping Edward mid-sentence.

"Oh, god." He sighed, rolling his eyes before putting on a fake smile.

"Frances." He greeted and faked enthusiasm.

"How are you, babe?" She asked, coming over to kiss his cheek.

Babe? My eyes met his questioningly but he just shook his head.

"I'm good." He answered.

"Marley and I are just gonna go see if anyone needs our help." Kena said, turning away and pulling my arm. I waved at Edward, only trying to get under Frances' skin before turning away.

"Wait!" Frances called, making me and Kena freeze. Why did she want us to wait? "Why do you have my boyfriends shirt on?"

"I'm not your boyfriend." Edward stated. "We went out on the town one night."

"Whatever, why does she have it? Are you two secretly hooking up?"

"Ew, no." I said, scrunching up my nose.

"Ew?" Edward asked quietly. "Marley fell into the water and she isn't smart enough to bring extra clothes to a work like this. So I let her borrow mine."

"I am, too, smart!" I shot back.

"'Marley'? So now your wearing a shirt that says 'Edward' and your name is 'Marley'? I guess it suits you, seeing as you aren't the prettiest girl around." Frances fired at me, using her hand to do a sassy flick of her greasy dirty blonde hair. "Thought 'Marley' was a guys name, ugly Betty."

I tensed and shot forward, only to be pulled back by Kena's strong grip.

"Don't you have animals to train?" Edward stated, walking over to me to replace Kena's arms with his. He pulled me away from Frances and turned me around, heading out the exit we just came in.

"I'm sorry about her." He said once we were outside.

"Why? It's not your fault she's such a bitch!" I yelled, making sure she heard me. She turned and glared hilariously with a stupid look in her eyes, but Edward stepped in the way. Not before I saw Kena trip over her own two feet because her knees gave away from laughing so hard after seeing Frances' face.

"You don't wanna get fired, do you?" Edward asked.

"I don't give a flying fu-"

"Your boyfriend will miss you and I'm sure you'll miss him as well."

I sighed and my shoulders slumped, knowing that the only reason I'm actually still here is because of Donnie. He's the pet I never had.

"Yeah." I mumbled. This job is decent, don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed it so much more after getting close to Donnie.

"I have an idea." Edward said, offering me to walk ahead of him, away from the performing stage. I guess they don't need my help. I complied to his offer and he followed behind me with his hands in his jeans pockets. "Why don't we see Donnie after your shift is over? Maybe we can convince Martin that he'll be alright on his own in the wild. Boss is just afraid he won't be able to hunt on his own anymore, but he was taken in from the sea for injuries."

"Yeah, the dolphins would be a whole different story because they never been out in open waters."

"Exactly, so Donnie has experience."

"How do we show Martin that Donnie is okay to go back home?"

"Maybe if we train him, boss will think he's fast and agile enough to survive. You know he hates defenseless animals out on their own if he can help."

I watched my shoes slap the hot pavement. "I can't." I sighed.

"Why not?"

"I'm grounded until I heal." I mumbled, kicking a small pebble and rubbing my ribs.

"Grounded? So it wasn't Donnie?"

"No. I had an accident with a railing on my skateboard yesterday. I was riding for a grind, but I saw my dad and he hates me being independent and risky, so I froze up and rammed right into the railing."

"Your grounded for disregarding your father, then?"

"No, just for getting hurt."

Edward let out a loud laugh, tears welling up in his eyes after a few seconds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this absolutely stupid and ridiculous. "Your parents are so super protective."

"They are. And I don't understand why."

"Maybe your adopted and they wanna take good care of you." Edward said in a baby-cooing voice, pinching my left cheek.

I shook him off and glared at him, mumbling a 'shut up' before actually taking into consideration on so many things my parents have done.

But, I'm not adopted.

Sure, the hair concerned me because my hair is so much darker than my parents. I sure as hell don't get my height from them either. I'm five foot, three inches while my parents are close to six foot. I don't know who or what side of the family I get my nose from, or the shape of my eyes. And my eye color?

Why are they so protective that their scared of what the world will do to me? No other parent will be so protective that they'll go to the extent of grounding them for getting hurt and send them to the doctors just to get confirmation on how the healing process is going. Speaking of the doctors; the blood test thing. What the hell was up with that?

"Marley, don't take it so seriously. I was joking." Edward said, patting my shoulder comfortingly. Maybe my face gave away some emotions that earned his sympathy because his face softened.

"I know."

I'm not adopted.

Right?

(Vote, Follow, Comment, Share xx)