17

A few weeks later...

The king demanded that every 'lady' in Abelore go to the town city and meet at a podium. I didn't know why I was there, I was a stupid potato; not some lady. Taehyung was sitting on a very fancy throne at one corner, looking extremely bored.

"There will be a ball at the palace in two days. The king shall choose 100 women and one will be selected to be the prince's wife. Every woman above 16 and below 23 must be there in formal gowns and precious jewels. This is a royal command," The guard announced loudly.

The girls started getting excited and squealed in delight. I groaned in annoyance and rolled my eyes. Taehyung spotted me and gave me a playful wink. I gave him a death glare and crossed my arms, walking away from the podium.

As I squeezed through the crowd, I could hear many girls whispering in delight.

"He's going to pick me, I'm going to wear the most expensive dress! Limited edition and I'll be the princess!"

"Imagine the luxury of being his wife, I'm confident I will be selected,"

"Ugh, all the other girls talking about being his wife makes me sick, I'm obviously going to win his heart," A girl from my school snapped her fingers.

I could not contain my laughter, and grinned. She gave me a look and rolled her eyes. What's with her attitude?

I managed to get out of the crowd and walked back to the palace. I was staying there as a guest and thankfully the royal people there accepted me because they said I looked trustworthy. Well, I did help around the palace but then I spent 10 hours doing nothing.

-

I was taking a cat nap when Taehyung barged into my room.

"YOU NEED TO GO GET YOUR FANCY PUFFY FLUFFY GOWN AND SOME JEWELS!" He screamed into my ear, jumping up and down my bed continuously. I honestly did not know how we got so close. Like we meet each other one second, and then start screaming in each other's faces in the next second.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" I spat back, burying myself under the warm blankets.

"NONONONO! Come on, we're leaving in ten,"

I sulked and got out of bed unwillingly. I started questioning my life choices. What is life without sleep and food? Nothing, nothing at all.

I got myself dressed in a white blouse tucked in front into denim shorts and left my hair tangled and slightly messy.

-

We ended in some lush and expensive shop. It was the dress shop, and there were only two customers in there. Which was Taehyung and me.

Taehyung was wearing casual clothes and a mask accompanied with a hat to make sure nobody identified him.

"How may I help you two?" The staff asked the both of us, dismissing the formalities.

"I want the best selection of dresses you have in this shop," Taehyung ordered, looking around. "How about that one?" He pointed at one of the dresses which probably costs ten thousand.

"That is our limited edition cream-coloured dress. It is reserved for someone else. You can't buy it," The staff stated simply, eyeing our attire. We weren't wearing any special clothes, so she must have thought we could not afford the dress. At that moment, Taehyung removed his mask and hat, ruffling his hair.

"A royal command," Taehyung drawled.

"Dude, we don't need such an expensive dress!" I whispered-shouted. Taehyung just shrugged and ignored me.

"Y-yes, your majesty. Of course," She stuttered, stunned. She quickly ran towards the dress and grabbed it, treating it carefully.

"Follow me to the changing room, ma'm," She told me. I hesitated and looked at Taehyung. He shooed me towards the changing room. Ugh, I hate dresses.

-

The dress fitted me perfectly but I felt really uncomfortable. "Do we have to wear such things to the ball?" I cringed, my arms lifted up.

"You look amazing, we are getting this," Taehyung complimented, standing up from the couch. It was the first he complimented me, so I was a bit taken aback.

"Is there like no option for the girls to wear pants? Leggings? Jeans?" I asked again, hoping for a favourable reply.

"No," He gave me a stern look, which made me move my head backwards. He gave his credit card to the staff and took the dress. "Now we need jewellery."

-

I sighed. This was the seventeenth shop. He couldn't decide which jewellery to buy since they all looked 'ugly'. I wanted to get a pair of pearl earrings but he did not allow me although I told him that I would use my own money. Hmph.

But I can't complain, at least he is taking time to go shopping with me.

-

We finally bought a clutch and some diamond earrings. He spent too much money on me, I don't know how to repay him.

"You don't have to pay me back, take it as a gift," Taehyung read my mind.

"But, why are you spending so much on me? Like, you bought everything." I asked.

"I know you're going to choose some really non-expensive dress from your stack of clothes, so to make you look more presentable, I bought them for you."

"I want to be eliminated, who cares about presentation?" I explained.

"I just want you to stay with me through this whole thing,"

"What?"

"I want you to be the last few standing. At least I'll know a friend."

-

"ARE YOU MAD?" I smacked his head. "I DON'T WANT TO MARRY YOU!"

"Too bad, I'm the main character of this Choosing Ceremony and it's my choice." Taehyung smiled slyly at me.

"The king makes the final decision, I can act horribly and he won't like me,"

"Oh? I can argue with him about this," Taehyung smirked.

"Damn it!" I cringed.

Why is life like this?