t w e n t y - f i v e

After the initial panic, Sadie and I had calmed down significantly.

We walked around for a bit, Sadie gripping my hand tightly the entire time. The smell of warm apple cider and fried foods were in the air, bringing back all the memories that I used to love about this place. There were kids running around and parents following, making the place packed. For such a small town, a lot of people showed up to this.

I couldn't help but let my mind wander to Millie. I hoped she was okay with the big crowds of people. She got weird when we were around one unfamiliar person, so I could only imagine what it was like for her to be with so many.

"We have thirty minutes to kill before you have to meet Millie, what do you want to do?"

I looked around at the different booths.

"Food?"

I crinkled my nose up at the thought. I'd probably throw up if I ate. I was so nervous.

"You can."

"Come on, at least some apple cider."

I crinkled my nose again.

"You know I don't like that."

"Then you can get some water or something. Come on."

Sadie pulled me towards the booth and I groaned in fake annoyance.

"You actually like this stuff?"

I paid for a cup and bought myself a water before we went and sat down at one of the tables. Sadie took a sip and hummed in satisfaction.

"This reminds me of her so much."

I nodded.

"I swear she drank about a gallon of it every year. It's so gross though. She'd even eat the soggy apples at the bottom."

I smiled at the memory of Iris picking the apples out of the bottom of her cup.

"We would call her Iris Apple-tow the whole time."

Sadie laughed after her sentence. Iris was something else.

"She took pride in that though."

Sadie nodded at my words and took another sip of her drink.

"The anniversary is in four months."

I nodded. It'll be four years. Sadie and I usually visited her. We'd bring flowers and talk for a while.

"I miss her."

I know I said it a lot but it was the truth. I'd do anything to have her back. To have her here with me and Sadie. I want to tease her again about eating soggy apples. I want her to playfully hit me and tell me that I was an idiot. I wanted to wait for her to pick a pumpkin no matter how long she took. I wanted to go to her house and carve jack-o-lanterns all night. I just want her back. I wanted her here with us having fun.

"Hey, tonight is a happy night remember?"

I looked up as Sadie grabbed my hand softly. I nodded and sighed, pushing Iris away from my mind for now.

"Let's go, it's ten minutes until you have to be there."

I took a deep breath in and got up. Time had gone fast. Anticipation rose in me, making my heartbeat speed up. I could see the bright lights of the ferris wheel from here. I scanned the area at the bottom for Millie. She wasn't anywhere to be seen and I grew nervous.

"See her?"

I shook my head no and let out a breath of air. Maybe I was right about her standing me up.