s i x t e e n

•Trigger Warning•

Topics discussed in the "important" chapter at the beginning of this book will be talked about in this chapter. Read at your own risk and please stay safe.

The walk to Sadie's was hell.

I had been in the rain too often over the past two days and I didn't like it. My happy mood that I had gained from spending time with Millie was quickly changed to a rather bad one once I had to walk. It's like the universe knew I hated rain so it started to pour far worse than it had been earlier. By the time I was knocking on the red head's door I was drenched all the way through.

"You should have called me, my mom wouldn't have minded picking you up you know."

I didn't say anything. I didn't want to snap at Sadie when she didn't deserve it. I was beyond annoyed though.

"You can borrow some of Mitchell's clothes while we dry yours."

I followed her into her older brother's old room and watched as she rummaged through the closet. Mitchell was away at college so Sadie let me borrow his clothes when I needed to.

"Here. Go change and I'll be in my room. The towels are in the cabinet for you to dry your hair."

I took the clothes and walked to the bathroom, my feet making a squishing sound with every step I took. I locked the door behind me and then started to strip the soaking clothes I had on off. Sadie had given me a pair of grey sweats and a dark navy blue jumper. I slid them on with ease and basked in the warmth that they brought. I grabbed a towel out of the cabinet and dried my hair. It was somewhat flat, so I shook my head a bit trying to fluff it back up.

"Took you long enough."

Sadie looked up as I walked in. She had her laptop open on her lap and she set it down before walking to me and taking the clothes.

"Be right back."

She walked out of the room with my clothes. I looked around, taking in the room I was so used to. Sadie liked the color blue. Her walls were painted a sky blue. The color was calming and reminded me of Iris a lot because she loved looking at the sky so much.

I sat on the bed next to where she had previously been. It was taking her longer than usual to just walk to the laundry room and throw my clothes in the dryer. I glanced at her laptop that was still open in her empty spot. Just a picture of Millie. I looked back at the door then before my eyes widened in realization and I scooped up the laptop. My eyes scanned the screen quickly. It was some news page. I started to read the words in almost a whisper out loud.

"Sherriff's fourteen-year-old adoptive daughter Millie Brown was-"

The laptop was slammed shut. I pulled my hands back as it smashed some of my fingers in between it. Sadie pulled it away from me quickly.

"What did you read?"

Sadie's voice was urgent and her blue eyes were wide. I was confused and nervous and worried. My heart started to beat a little quicker and I closed my mouth.

"What did you read Finn!"

I shook my head.

"Not a lot-Sadie what is that?"

She sighed.

"A news article."

"Well obviously! But why is Millie in it?"