t w e n t y - t h r e e

Sleep after the day I had was impractical.

When the sun started to pour through my window, I sighed and got up, my whole body feeling heavy. I got into the shower to hopefully take away my drowsiness and took my time making sure I was clean.

I was not going to school today. I know I should but I just didn't have it in me. I grabbed my phone and called Sadie, knowing she would worry if I just didn't show up.

"Hey Finn."

"Hi Sades. I'm not going to school today."

Her voice turned to concern quickly.

"Why? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah I'm just not feeling it today. I didn't want you to worry."

She was quiet for a few seconds before she spoke again.

"I'll be right over."

I sighed as she hung up. Okay, guess I'm spending the day with Sadie. I didn't mind. It's not like she forced me to do anything. I walked back into my room and sat on the edge of my bed. My eyes fell on the picture next to it of me, Sadie, and Iris. I picked it up and smiled a bit.

As I placed it back my eyes then landed on the note next it. The one from Millie. Realization hit me and I got up quickly. I hope she read my note from yesterday. I wondered if she was going to give me a chance.

I rushed around my room and slipped on socks and shoes, along with a beanie because I wasn't going to deal with my hair today. I grabbed a jacket and rushed to the kitchen, opening the door to the garage to check if my mom was home. I sighed in relief when she wasn't and then opened the garage so I'd be able to get my bike out. Just as I got on it and was about to leave, Sadie was walking up.

"I thought you said no to school today?"

I nodded.

"Get on."

She didn't question me. She had her backpack on, which confused me a bit but I didn't ask. We rode to the tree, and my eyes lit up at the sight of a star hanging.

Sadie almost fell off my bike as I climbed off quickly and plucked the star from the tree. I stuck my finger under the same part as yesterday and unraveled it as fast as I could. I opened it up and looked at it with Sadie peering over my shoulder.

It was an article about the Fall Festival. There was a picture of what I assumed was last year's, and the ferris wheel was circled. I didnt get it. I searched the paper for something more. Sadie's finger came into my view and she pointed to the page number. It was circled too. Page eight?

"I don't get it."

Sadie laughed a little.

"Finnie you're so oblivious. She wants you to meet her at the ferris wheel at eight."

"At the Fall Festival?"

Sadie nodded. Panic immediately started to set in. I couldn't go to that. I hadn't been there since Iris. I didn't know if I could. A hand on my shoulder had be jumping a little.

"I'll go with you, if you want."

Sadie smiled sadly at me. She knew what I was thinking because she was probably doing the same. I wasn't going to let her go through that if she didn't have to.

"I don't want you to go if you don't think you can."

She looked down and shrugged a little.

"I think I can. I should be asking you if you can."