Chapter Twenty-Seven

That night the entire party retired, relieved and happy in more ways than one. Kich and Pramila were happy that Sara was back home unharmed and back to her obedient self.

As for Burphy, he had solved another case and his reputation as an ace investigator continued to grow.

Kiran was elated that he was finally in the good books of Sara's parents, having overturned the bad impression they had of him. As if that wasn't enough, Burphy had asked Kiran to consider joining the Law Enforcement Office as a part time law enforcement officer.

And finally, Gangaram had made enough money to buy a new cricket ball thanks to a generous tip from the elated parents.

It had been a good day for everyone but the cricket ball that still lay by the window.

It had found itself consigned to the box of spare balls, was then picked by Gangaram as he sought to bowl with his other arm in the nets to the sixteenth man, found itself sailing through the night sky after he let it slip from his hand before crashing into Sara and coming to a halt by the wall. And just when it had given up all hope of being retrieved, Gangaram appeared, only to turn his back on it. And so, it lay by the window, gathering dust, unwanted by player, parents and policemen.