Chapter Four

"Hmm, hmm," Sara whimpered and her lips twitched. She tucked the unruly strands of hair dangling by the sides of her face behind her ears. No more fringe-cut for me, she resolved as she started keying something in response to Kiran. Just then, thanks to oily palms from running them through her hair, she dropped her phone. The phone fell with a thud, came apart and every distinct part –back cover, battery and the front – lay on the floor.

Sara let out a mild shriek, picked the pieces up and put them together. She restarted the phone and was relieved that it was still in working condition. As an indicator showed that the phone was loading all the necessary software after the restart, Sara waited impatiently. "Kiran is waiting," she said to the phone, which did not understand, although it was touted to be a smartphone.

Sara fidgeted about, tracing random patterns with her right foot on the dirty floor. So much for this being called Excellent Services Complex, Sara fumed. They must call it Extortion Complex for charging so much to run a tuition centre. And I am having to pass on the detriment to my students and charge them exorbitant fees, she lamented.

Excellent Services Complex was a commercial complex whose owner excelled at charging obscene amounts of money to let space out. While it looked good on the outside, it was poorly maintained on the inside. It would be no understatement to call Excellent Services Complex a metaphor of modern man. Sara was one among the many occupants, who had gone from complaining about the exorbitant rent to passing on the headache to her customers. She didn't have to complain any longer.

They are all middle-class dreamers, she convinced herself. They will crib and cry but will never make enough noise to get the authorities to notice and act.

Just then, her phone came sputtering back to life.