iii | tragedy to majesty

Start from the beginning

Looking back towards Austin, Liam leans down.  "Don't ever touch me again unless I give you permission.  Do you understand me?"

Austin nods and relief washes over his face and Liam lets go just as a gentle knock draws everyone's attention to the archway.  Steven, the computer dude, stands there, an iPad clutched to his chest.  He awkwardly waves and steps in, his eyes darting between all of his fellow house-mates.  Stepping away from Austin, Liam greets the smart, young man with a handshake as Austin scrambles to his feet, disappearing out the room before anyone can stop him.

"Hi, Ms. Crawford—"

I offer up a welcoming, anxiety-reducing smile.  "Faith is fine, Steven."

"Liam—" He nods towards Luciano as if I don't already know his name, "—um, asked me to come by—"

Liam cuts him off as they near the sofa I'm sitting on.  "I requested Steven to come by because not only is he amazing with computers, but he's an amazing artist as well." He folds his arms across his chest as I look up at him, "If you can, I'd appreciate if you could describe to him who rescued you."

I frown momentarily, "Why?" It's safe to say that I'm more curious about Liam's motives moving forward.  "I don't care who they are—"

"Well I do," Liam emphasizes.

"They saved my life," I continue, my eyes narrowing. "Unless you plan on sending them flowers—" Liam rolls his eyes and casually turns away from me, muttering in an annoyed manner.  I stand up quickly, causing the room to spin for a second.  I rest a hand against my temple and repeat myself, "Unless you plan on sending them a bouquet of flowers, I want to know why you want to find them so bad."

The doctor eases me back into a seated position, my eyes never leaving Liam's once he faces me again.  His lips slightly part and whether he has an answer for me or not, I'll never know.  He doesn't speak, he just stares.  My stomach feels like a bottomless pit as Steven kneels before me, gearing up his device to draw.  I shake my head, my words coming out as a mere whisper.

"Why won't you answer me...? What did I do...? Why are you treating me like a stranger...?"

Liam doesn't hear me.  His attention snaps to something – to someone – over my shoulder.  I don't hear what they say, nor do I care.  He gives me one last fleeting glance before exiting the room, accompanying whoever managed to take his attention away from me.

"Faith?" Steven rests a hand on my knee, reeling me back from the depths of my depressive thoughts.  His voice is soft and oddly comforting.  "I know you don't want to do this, certainly not after the night you've had but..." He gives me an easy smile, "Liam wants to do this because he doesn't like the idea of not knowing who this...apparent...ninja-person-wannabe-thing is that's prancing around a city he feels as though he controls."

I manage to stop myself from rolling my eyes.  "Why couldn't he just say that when I asked him then."

Steven swipes a few times across the sensitive screen before shooting me another smile.  A strand of dark hair falls across his forehead as he readjusts his glasses.  "He's had something stuck up his ass the last few weeks." I laugh softly as he concludes with, "When we manage to get it out, I'll let you know."

My smile is genuine this time.  "Thank you, Steven.  I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Probably a lot," he retorts, "I'm kind of irrelevant."

My smile remains as I watch him tap his iPad a few times.  I manage to pick the worst moment to speak, interrupting him as he decides to change topics.