He stares down at me as I lay on the bed, trembling. I block my stomach with a pillow, and words fall from my quivering lips. "Please calm down, Baby. I love you."

Another moment passes. He glares down at me, and then he finally speaks. "I'm going out for the night. I'll be home after work tomorrow night."

Before I can respond, he storms out the door, and for the first time since I was being held for ransom, I am glad to see him leave.

I lay on the bed, letting out a shaky breath, as I try to frantically wipe tears from my eyes, and then I hear my stomach growl. I laugh a little, placing my hand on my belly. "Is that you in there, pretty girl?" I ask. I just know it's going to be a girl. I feel it. "Are you already hungry again?"

I decide to grab a snack before bed. Maybe it'll help me fall asleep faster. I need all of the help I can get with that right now.

As I enter the kitchen, I see Noah beating something with a whisk in a blue mixing bowl. "Hey, what are you making?" I ask.

He glances up. "Oh, hey. You scared me," he responds, laughing. "I'm making a cake."

My forehead creases. "At almost midnight?"

He shrugs. "Yep. I wanted cake, and I love to back." My mind flashes back to my first day spent with Noah. He told me that he loved cooking then, too. We made pancakes together.

I glance down to the floor, feeling my cheeks warm at the thought of that day. "That makes sense, I guess. Can I have some when it's done?"

He nods. "Yea, it may be a bit."

"That's fine," I reply, taking a seat at the table.

He pours the batter into a cake pan and then he sits in front of me. "Is everything OK?"

I glance up from my phone at him. "Yes. Why?"

He flexes his jaw, and then his expression changes from curious to worried. "I heard Boss screaming at you. It's none of my business, I know, and I know that it's normal for people to fight. Me and Jess fight sometimes, too. That, though-" He trails off, shaking his head. "That didn't sound normal."

I shift in my seat, uncomfortably. "He is just having a bad night. He went out. he'll be back after work tomorrow night."

Noah nods. "So," he says, and then pauses for a second. "He didn't hurt you?"

I put on a fake smile and shake my head. "No, he didn't. I'm OK. Thank you for your concern though."

He returns the smile, but I almost feel like his is fake, too. "Anytime," he mumbles. "Wanna watch something while the cake bakes?" Noah asks.

I perk up, welcoming a subject change. "Sure."

After an episode of some goofy show that Noah seems to be really into, he turns the T.V. off, looking over to me with a big grin on his face. "Did that cheer you up any? I love that show."

I giggle at how excited he seems, and even though the sting of Kade's accusations still lay heavy on my chest, I nod. "Yes, it was hilarious."

"I'm gonna go check on the cake. Do you want it when it's warm? I can get you an piece and just put icing on that."

"That sounds really good," I groan, rubbing my belly.

He chuckles. "Be right back." After a few minutes, he reenters the living room carrying two plates. "I cut you a big piece. That should be enough for you and the baby, hopefully," he says, jokingly.

I laugh. "I don't know. This little girl really, really likes food.," I reply, patting my belly.

He scoffs. "She must get it from her mother."

My eyes involuntarily roll, and I take a bite. "You did really good on this, Noah. It's good cake."

His eyebrows arch. "Of course I did. I'm a freaking awesome cook."

"You're a freaking cocky cook," I mumble back, taking a second bite.

He winks. "Confidence is key."

We finish our cake, and then I stretch out on the couch while we continue to talk. I feel myself slowly drifting off to sleep.

"Do you need to go to bed?" Noah says, smiling.

I slowly shake my head. "No, I'll get up in a second," I mumble.

I hear him scoff as my eyes close. "Yea right. Come on, Sleepy Mama. Let's get you to bed," he says.

Just before I begin to bob in and out of consciousness, I feel a pair of strong, warm, arms scoop me up against a firm chest.

My arms instantly find their way around a pair of broad shoulders, and I snuggle into the bend of a neck, barely awake enough to realize who is carrying me. The next thing that I feel is being laid onto the bed. I stir awake a little, not opening my eyes. I am surprised that Kade has come back already, and as the person that I believe is Kade goes to pull the blankets over me, my arms wrap around their neck, again, pulling them down to me. Their lips crash down onto mine, kissing back without hesitation, and a low, sexy, groan comes from their throat.

That's when I realize that it isn't Kade. That's not Kade's voice.

I gasp, jerking my face away with wide eyes, and Noah pulls back, quickly. "I-I'm sorry," he says, quickly. "I shouldn't have kissed back." He begins to rush to the door. "I'll see you tomorrow. Good night."

And, with that, the door slams behind him, and I am left alone, again.

What have I done?

Present

About half-way to Sage and Cole's house, I begin to think that he isn't going to speak at all throughout the ride. Then, he proves me wrong. "Can I talk to you about something, Iris?" He says, turning the radio down.

Oh, god. Here it comes. This is the first time we have been alone since it happened. He is going to bring it up. "Sure," I reply, nervously glancing out the window.

"Why did you kiss me that night a couple of months ago and then completely avoid me up until now?" He asks. I feel my stomach flip and prepare to answer. How do I even respond?