Chapter Twenty-five

"Can we see him?"

"Can we see him?"

"Mum."

My face was bright red as my mother laughed at the other end. We were video chatting, and she was sitting at the dining table. I could hear movements off the screen, and I knew my father was there too. A lump had formed in my throat a while ago, but it was mostly gone now. If he was uncomfortable with talking to me I guess that was okay. I won't hold it against him. I was in the study room of Nath's apartment while Nat was working on a car he had brought home with him from work. It seemed it had to be done asap.

"Well, why can't I see him? I should know who my son is living with," she rationalized, and I just stared at her as the slightest of smiles touched my lips. It was nice to see that she was bubbly and happy. I had been a little afraid she was just acting brave. Her face showed no signs of lost sleep or tears, and I was very happy about that. The last thing I ever wanted to do was cause my mother pain.

"He's out in the backyard working," I said. "He's a mechanic I'm not sure if I've told you before," I added, and she shook her head before humming.

"What about you? What are you doing now?" my mother asked, making my eyes widen a bit. I hadn't been expecting that question.

"I'm working full time at the library here no, until..." I trailed, not knowing what to add. I bit my bottom lip, watching my mother. I hadn't really thought of anything to do after graduating high school. I was supposed to do my missionary service for two years, and now I was suddenly free.

"I don't know," I ended up sighing, telling my mother the truth.

"Have you thought about college?" she asked, and I shook my head.

"Not really." After my words, the conversation fell flat. I could hear Nathaniel working in the backyard. He should be done soon. He's been out there for more than three hours.

"I don't want to put pressure on you, but when you do figure things out please let us know," she said. I smiled a bit. I liked how she kept talking with plural pronouns, but my father was off-screen.

"Are you eating alright? What about your prayers?" she asked, and I hummed before looking straight at her.

"Nathaniel cooks, so don't worry about me starving," I laughed, and she just smiled. "About praying... Well, I don't know. I just feel 'dirty' while doing it if that makes sense?" I said, and she nodded.

"You're still God's child."

An imperfect one. The speck of milk in the glass of water. I said in my head, remembering what Nath had told me about his Christian camp experience. I opted to just smile at my mother's words. We were talking about random things when I heard the door so the study creak open. I paused mid-sentence, turning to find Nath standing at the door.

"Is that him?" my mother said as loud as she could. Maybe she was trying to gain his attention, and if that was what she had wanted she succeeded because he turned over to my computer at the sound of her voice.