Chapter One

In the early hours of the chilly fall night, my family, the Parks, were already having dinner in our small dining area

In the early hours of the chilly fall night, my family, the Parks, were already having dinner in our small dining area. The noise of plates being pushed around, and my youngest sister occasionally whining when she didn't have her way made the place undoubtedly homely. The room was dimly lit, and we were having mashed potatoes with kale and Boursin cheese. The house cat moved about in the background, purring when it settled down on a counter in the kitchenette across from the six-person dining table.

I was sitting on the edge, smiling as my father gave me an earful about the two-year mission I was about to embark on. I would be the first-ever to go in my family since my parents had been converts and hadn't had the opportunity to go when they were younger.

"Now, stop it. I'm sure he understands." I heard my mother say as I felt her small hand place itself on my shoulder, I looked to my side, catching her small smile. Her hair was done in a bob-cut, and her other hand was preoccupied with holding a metal tray. My two other siblings were on the table too. Jessica who was twelve ate her food quietly, and Catherine who was five played with her food as she hummed one of the rhythms her teacher taught them in class off-key.

We all had our signature black straight hair, and skin that was a little bit tanned. My siblings and I looked like a good mix of my father and mother, we all got our mothers height and overall stature — which was not very good for me since I was a bit short for my age — 5'4, and we all got my father's face if that makes sense. Thin lips, small noses, and long well-defined faces.

"Honestly, I'm kind of sad to see you go," my mother said as she let go of my shoulder and made to drop the tray of food at the center of the table before pulling out the seat beside my father and sitting down. "I'm worried as well. It's not just your father."

"You know you're the first person doing this in our family, so we're rightfully worried," my father said, repeating what he had been telling me since the beginning of dinner. He was middle-aged, and his hair was already going white. he and my mother had started having children a bit later than most couples around town.

I rolled my eyes, resting back on my seat. "I'm going to another town while some people are heading over to different countries. Come on, I'll be fine," I said, looking at both my parents before giving them a small smile. They had suggested I wait a little longer. I was currently eighteen. I had just graduated like most of my peers. Sure, some people did their missions later in life, but I didn't think I wanted to be that random person in their twenties walking around with a majority of teenagers.

"And," I started, watching my parents, "Olivia's coming along with me. She's at my station. I'll be fine," I said, and I watched my other sister's eyes move to her plate as she sat down beside my father. Olivia and her family were long-term friends of ours. She was a red-haired nice girl. If I wanted to do anything I just mentioned Olivia and my parents let me. She was like my get out of jail card sometimes.