"chapter four"

"i wouldn't let that happen."
"you've been a softie lately rich"

"she just said she wanted to meet us!" stan cuts between richie and eddies arguing

the losers all pull up to the stairs at beverly's apartments. to find beverly running down the hill. "i need you show you guys something" she says.

"more than what we saw at the quarry?" richie asks. laura slaps his arm and then eddie yells at him, "shut up! just shut up richie!"

"my dad would kill me if he knew boys were in the apartment." bev shakes her head.

"right, uh richie you j-just stay out h-here" bill says before the kids start to walk off.

"don't worry, i guess i'll stay with you rich." laura says before richie notices she never got off her bike.

"wait! what if her dad comes back?" richie asks.

"do what you always do! StART TaLKinG!" stan yells before following the others up the stairs.

"it is a gift!" richie slumps.

"uh" laura sighs. "i'm so curious" she taps her foot.

"well i'm always picked to keep watch so just be lucky are aren't me" richie frowns.

"why would you say that?" laura asks getting off her bike and walking over to richie.

"i annoy people, and i don't know how to change" richie sighs.

"you shouldn't change, i mean yeah sometimes i DO wanna punch you in the face but, your the trashmouth and the club wouldn't be complete without you."

"just like bill is the leader, eddie is the germophobe, stan is jewish and ocd, ben is the smart one, bev is the badass girl and i'm the trashmouth, you matter so don't change" laura smiles before wrapping an arm around his shoulder and rests her chin on his head.

the two teens patiently wait in silence, in the bright sunlight for the others to return.

you can see the heatwaves hitting the concrete in the blaring 80 degree weather.

"i feel so bad for beverly, whatever she saw, i haven't seen anything and i don't want to" laura says breaking the silence.

"i wouldn't let that happen" richie says leaning towards laura.

laura jumps off her bike, to sit on richies. she wraps her arms around his waist and lays her head on his back.

"you've been a softie lately rich" she says.