Chapter 10 - Baybay's Farewell

Nothing.

Still, there was nothing.

How could there be nothing?

For the past years, the same dream plagued my sleep every full moon and yet for the past months has been empty. I need to find out what's happening, but first, the baybaylan is waiting for me.

The sun still slept behind the covers of the mountain as I set out to the hut. The cold rough sand felt good beneath my feet with my every step and the suffocating scent of brine permeated the air. Such mundane things yet, I could appreciate them a bit more if not a little. Everything just seems to be a bit better ever since I spent time with the babaylan.

The babaylan's hut came into view and I can already see her standing outside with the same smile that she greets me with. Upon arriving, my training began. With the time I spent here I know that I have become better.

First I was trained to manahin the stubborn earth and sand, to steel my will and command the immovable. Next was water, to give form to what is formless, to harness discipline in order to create and calm the waves and not let a single drop go to waste. Then, I began with air. I needed to rely on my other senses to grasp what I cannot see but only feel.

Finally, I will manahin the final primal element, fire.

"Before we begin I assume you know the Legend of Lam-ang?" The babaylan asked with a probing tone.

"Yes, babaylan." I could barely pull the story from a distant memory.

"Go on."

"Oh, um. Lam-ang was a man born with great strength and powers. It was said the he began to speak the moment he was born and avenge his father's death at the hands of a rival tribe when he was just seven years old."

"Hmm." The babaylan muttered. "Well that was the common tale... but did you know his legend regarding the primal elements?"

For a moment I almost said no but then suddenly a memory began to surface.

"Yes! I could barely recount every detail but I have heard of it."

"Then go on, child, tell me." A glint of surprise twinkled on the babaylan's eyes.

Slowly I told the barely remembered tale buried in my mind.

"When Lam-ang grew into an adult it was said that he could command the four primal elements. He could order Apoy to burn when it is cold and Hangin to blow when it is too hot. He could summon Tubig to bring him water to sate his thirst and Bato to hunt a beast for him when he is hungry. He could have become a great man but instead of helping others he used his powers to live a comfortable and lazy life so the diwatas punished him and made life harder for us humans. Hangin's body was destroyed and lost his body but he still traveled the world to look for Lam-ang. Tubig was forced underground and lacked the strength to return back to the surface that is why we are forced to dig for wells. Bato became too heavy and fell to pieces on the ground and was too angry to move."

"And what happened to Apoy?" The babaylan asked,

"He was scared and ran away to hide in the forest. That is why we have to rub wood together to produce fire." I finished the tale and it left a satisfied look on the babaylan's face.

"That legend is supposed to be known only to us babaylans. Do you not find it weird that you possess such knowledge?" I was left speechless but I was given no time to ponder. "Moving on, that legend tells the story of how us humans began to use mana."