Chapter 4 - Lakuran I

The halls of the raja have been filled with people from the other balanggays. Raja Mamuno has been sitting on his throne since this morning listening to his people's query. The Raja's council starts from morning until the sun is at its peak and today's council is almost over. Datu's from the other eight balanggays that surrounds Taritala would send messengers to attend the Raja's council for each balanggay's various needs and problems.

"Dakilang Raja, I have come from Nanagat and was sent by Datu Kudyapi." A messenger said while bowed down.

"And what is the problem?" Raja Mamuno asked while stroking his bearded chin, he seems to be thinking about something else.

"Dakilang Raja, our catch for the past few months have been dwindling. Datu Kudyapi asks if you could increase the supplies to our balangay. Our catch will not be enough for the month." The messenger said.

"Ah, Nanagat, your fishes had been dwindling since a few years back, it's been years since I've tasted some tuna myself." Raja Mamuno said absent mindedly.

"I'm sorry Dakilang Raja, it seems that the fishes just vanished, this is worse than before. There wasn't even enough catch for a family" The messenger had a worried look on his face.

"As you say, I will allow the increase in supplies but only until the third month, by then you must find another way to feed yourselves." Raja Mamuno was looking out the window "Balanggay Nanagat is not that far from the forests, you should try farming for a while until the fishes come back."

"I will tell Datu Kudyapi, thank you Dakilang Raja" The messenger said before leaving.

Almost every balanggay complains about the same problem, their produce have been dwindling lately, some were far less than usual. The weird thing was only Balanggay Puthaw was the only one not sending any messengers since last year, it seems Datu Budlong has been managing very well. Lakuran thought to go to the kitchen and fetch the raja's lunch when Raja Mamuno suddenly roared.

"Out! Out with all of you! The council for today is finished..." Raja Mamuno's voice was loud and commanding yet calm at the same time; there was an expression in his face that Lakuran could not describe, it was a mix between anger and fear "You! Messenger from Pundok, stay." Raja Mamuno was pacing while waiting for the others to leave.

"Dakilang Raja, should I leave as well?" Lakuran asked.

"No, stay here and close the gates." Raja Mamuno sat again and faced the messenger "Messenger, what is it again?" The messenger was now sweating.

"D-datu Gabbang has sent me; he posted every warrior the night before I left. I-it attacked us in the dark of the night." The messenger's hands were shaking "It-it-it flew the cows away, th-."

Raja Mamuno stood and roared again "What attacked in the night?" Raja Mamuno's face was completely red yet his voice remained calm.

"Th-th-the aswang, Dakilang Raja." Terror could be seen in the messenger's eyes. Lakuran remembered him standing at the back of the crowd this morning, he kept looking everywhere and he made no move to be heard at the council. He might have thought that it would be better to be heard last.

"How many were there?" Raja Mamuno asked impatiently.

"Th-there was only one, Dakilang Raja."

"Any casualties before you left?"

"None, Dakilang Raja, only the cows, completely drained with blood. Their necks we-"

"Spare me the details." Raja Mamuno lifted his palm to halt the messenger.