"What do you mean they got Akira?" Ray asked his voice stone cold. 

"The Watchers..." Dominique said softly, not looking up, not wanting to meet his brother's eyes. 

"What were you doing to make Watcher's come after you?" Ray growled his voice still dangerously low. 

"We..." Dominique knew that the only way he would get Ray's help was if he told the truth. It was time for honesty not more lies. Akira's life depended on it. "We...we tried to break into the academy," he whispered it and yet in the silence it sounded to his ears more like a shout. 

There was a deathly silence. The only sound was the wind rushing by outside and the occasional cricket. 

"YOU WHAT!" Ray shouted so loud Dominique was sure the entire Resistance had heard him. Dominique didn't reply, knowing that Ray had heard him the first time. 

"What. On. Earth. Prompted you to do such as stupid thing?" Ray asked through clenched teeth. 

Dominique didn't reply. 

"WHAT WERE YOU DOING AT THE ACADEMY!" Dominique flinched as Ray shouted again. He lifted his eyes ever so slightly to see that Ray's eyes were blazing. 

Dominique opened his mouth to reply, to tell Ray exactly what was going on, and yet something stopped him. Could he really tell Ray about who Akira claimed to be, about the entire reason for them breaking into the academy? Would his brother still help free her if he knew that it had been her plan? Not wanting to take the risk Dominique closed his mouth, even though he knew that the action was most likely to anger Ray further. 

"You know what, don't tell me then," Ray, sounded angrier than Dominique had ever heard him. "I should have known better than to put her in your care! I should have known you would end up doing something stupid in which one of you got hurt! You can't do anything right, CAN YOU?" 

The remark stung but Dominique did nothing to defend himself. Instead he just hung his head, staring at the ground, feeling more remorseful than he ever had. He should never have agreed to do the theft. He should have persuaded Akira otherwise. It was madness right from the start and he had known it. Yet being him and inwardly craving the challenge, he had gone along. 

Ray pressed both hands to his forehead, "You know, I can't do this anymore," he sounded tired beyond words. His eyes met Dominique's. "What am I supposed to do with you?" he asked. "I'm trying to keep everyone safe and yet here you are trying to get us all killed!" 

Dominique opened his mouth to protest. 

"Don't!" Ray held out a warning finger, "Say. A. Word." 

"Ray," Caleb spoke softly from where he sat. "He is your brother, and Akira is one of us. At least let him tell us what happened." 

Ray didn't answer. 

"What happened?" Celine whispered. Dominique looked up to see that her eyes were filled with shock but most of all disappointment, disappointment in him. And it stung worse than Ray's words. 

"I..." Dominique began. Yet he knew that the whole story would take too long. "They had me but...she came back for me. We were going to get out..." 

"You made it in?" Caleb murmured in wonder. 

"They took her to the council," Dominique continued and Ray took in a sharp breath. "They're going to hang her in three days," Dominique whispered the last part. 

"No," Celine gasped, her hand covering her mouth as her eyes widened in horror while Ray turned his back to his brother. 

"Ray," Dominique looked at his brother's back pleadingly. "We have to help her, we have to get her out of there!"