Chapter 3 - Beyond the Wall

Start from the beginning

After the gate there was another outer courtyard, surrounded by a high wall and another exit gate. She walked up to it but was locked. She looked to the side and noticed a narrow staircase and without a second thought, climb it up. From above, she could see nothing but the darkness of a forest that surrounded Cell 5. Farther on to the left, the silhouette bathed by the moonlight of what should have been buildings and houses partially destroyed. To the right, almost disappearing into the landscape, which seemed to be abandoned airplanes. In fact, Nana had not lied. There was nothing outside the walls...

And then, unexpectedly, someone knocked her to the ground.

"Have you lost your mind?" Asked a female voice, turning her face down as she tied Clara's hands behind her back and then lifting the girl with a flounce.

"Stop there!" A male voice called farther.

"We are going to shoot!" Said another.

"Easy, guys. Everything is under control. She is with me!" cried the blonde girl frowning at Clara and whispering, "Don't say a word! Let me handle this... Do not do anything stupid!" the girl kept Clara held by one arm.

"What are you doing here, Mirela? Who is she?" Asked one of the guards, looking suspicious.

"She's just my cousin, from Cell 2. She came in today with the groceries and got lost in this whole mess." Mirela answered, pushing Clara slightly forward, trying to hide the ropes that tied her behind her back.

"Cousin?" The other narrowed his eyes.

"That's right! My cousin. Now, if you don't mind, we'll go back to the dorms!" Mirela finished, passing by the guards. "Oh! By the way, where were you? Should not you be here on readiness?"

"It's... we..." Stammered the boy as Mirela waved her hand.

"Okay, okay. Let's keep it between us. But make sure this doesn't happen again. These days have been pretty strange..." Mirela went down the stairs with Clara in front of her, covering with her own body the tied hands of the girl.

Half an hour later, Clara was in another dormitory, but now with two beds, a closet and a nightstand. Apparently, the fire system was not working in this part of the building because everything was dry. Clara glared at the candle crackling on the bedside table, avoiding Nana's furious gaze. She was soaked and stared to her from the other bed, in silence.

"I had to lie, Nana! I had to tell them she was my cousin!" Mirela paced up and down in the room. "Do you realize what would have passed to her if the guards appeared before me? She would be dead! I only did it because you asked me to. And I trust you... See what a mess she created with these, these..." she continued gesturing towards the ceiling. "These water deals! And she stuck you, Nana!" The young woman went on a string of slurs waving her arms.

Nana said nothing just glaring at Clara. The girl still avoided turning her head and simply watched the candle flame dance. More questions included to the others which she had no answer. Why did the blonde have to lie? Was not she a combatant, too? She would love to ask all those questions out loud, but the Nana's look seemed to penetrate her soul. Clara let out a resigned sigh. She knew she needed patience to get all the answers she called for, otherwise she feared for her sanity. One thing at a time. First, she had to make sure that Nana told her the truth. Yes, there was nothing beyond the fences. But then, she heard a voice say to her "Trust no one." Surely there was more in that story...

"Enough, Mirela!" Nana looked dazed. "I was wrong, too. I should not have left her separated from others... It was supposed that she would do this..."

Clara and the other girl were shocked by that statement. How could Nana remain so calm after being locked in a sea of water? For a moment Clara felt shame for having done this to that lady. But she shook her head and considered that she had to be sure where she was once everything else was a huge blur in her mind. At the same time, Clara had the feeling that Nana would keep talking but whether she would or not, the girl would never know, since the old woman was standing and heading to the door.

"I will take off my clothes and try to sleep. I'm exhausted... You will share the room with Mirela since most of the rest is wet." Nana looked seriously at Clara. "Thank you, Mirela. The story of the cousin was really great... Thank you very much..." And then, she closed the door.

Clara thought the other girl would react, but strangely, she just grabbed a towel and threw another at Clara's side. The blonde sat down on her bed to take off the boots without saying a word. Then she went to the small wardrobe on the other side of the room, picked up dry clothes to change and threw another at Clara; laid down on the bed and blew out the candle.

Alone and in the darkness, there was nothing else she could do except dry herself and change her clothes, as the other girl had done. Then Clara laid on the bed, staring at the ceiling as hot tears streamed down her face before she fell into a deep sleep, without dreams or nightmares.

 Then Clara laid on the bed, staring at the ceiling as hot tears streamed down her face before she fell into a deep sleep, without dreams or nightmares