Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

*Trigger Warning! : rape, abuse mention*

The school year continued without John Winchester, and the weather began to warm. As the sun was seen more, Dean Winchester was seen less. Since John left the pair of Winchester boys, Dean put in an effort to give his brother and himself the best life they could for the time being; no monster hunting or research but food and a house that didn’t threaten to collapse on them regularly. It was not everything, but it was more than Sam would have asked for.

To repay him, Sam did a lot of Deans homework. That, along with Castiels tutoring, was the only reason he was getting through his classes with Bs, and the odd A. Along with assisting his older brother and enjoying his new freedom, Sam was making a relationship. He was quiet about it, not sharing the mile long stories dancing behind his lips of late afternoons, moonlights, and gorgeous daylight hours. The heart fluttering, stomach twisting, mind blanking moments were his and Jess’ to keep, and theirs alone. Surely Dean knew, his teasing told Sam that much, but he didn’t know the details. Maybe one day that would chance.

Castiel felt, for the first time in his life, happy. He had picked up at job at the diner Dean works at and, while it wasn’t much, it was enough to get him the necessities. He still had not come clean to his boyfriend as to why he needed the job. Somehow he kept the long, cold nights in his hide out a secret. Despite the struggles, he was happy.

“So you plan on wearing that through summer too?” Dean teased as he pulled on the sleeve of Castiels coat, grinning widely at his boyfriend who stood beside him at the lockers.

“It is quite chilly in school, Dean.” 

“Not trench coat cold.”

“Dean, this is my only coat,” He reminded gently. He kissed his frowning boyfriend and shook his head, regonizing Deans concern. “Also, I enjoy wearing it. It is quite comfortable and reminds me of you.”

“You say that like it’s a good thing.”

“It is. Very much so; I enjoy being reminded of you.”  His blue eyes smiled without his lips twitching and it brought a wide grin to Deans flushed face. “Although it is not normally nessary, seeing as you’re usually on my mind anyway.”

“Flattery will get you nowhere.” Dean whispered in teasing as he pressed a long kiss to his lips. Slowly the pair had become more open in the halls of school and the people around them had come to accept it; or more so deal with it. Dean did not deal well with bulling and Castiels football fit muscles were often menacing.

Football, thankfully, was over. The last game had passed months ago and Castiel was thankful for its ending. As a senior, he did not have to go to training afterschool, which was starting up once again to prepare for next season.

However, Castiel had received word to be in the locker rooms this evening to receive something coach wanted to give him. He was not aware practice was even occurring for the boys this evening and figured the coach, like all members of any high school, would be eager to return home. However, the small rising junior was trustworthy and he decided to stay after to see what was happening. Dean held harsh opinions and encouraged Castiel not to attend, only giving in when his lover agreed that Dean would stay after with him and keep in close distance to the locker room. This was the reason behind Dean carrying his gun to school for the first time in months. During the day it hid in his Impala, but he pulled it from the careful hiding spot under the floorboard in the back, which was created by a younger version of himself and Sam years ago, and slipped it into the waist band of his well-worn Levi jeans. This occurred after the last bell rung and Castiel walked with him before the pair made their way towards the gym locker room in the nearly abandoned halls of the school. The sound of the band practicing echoed and a few classrooms held kids making up assigments, tapping pencils audible in the halls as well.