Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Friday was the 31st day of October and while the other kids found it to be exciting, Castiel didn’t see anything special to the date. His parents had banned Halloween from his household, with reason that it was a holiday filled with witchcraft and nonsense. Castiel, as a kid, had hated how he would be the only one at school who wouldn’t come with pockets filled full of chocolaty sweets the days following Halloween but didn’t complain to his parents, knowing where it would get him. Now, however, Castiel ignored the holiday almost all together, seeing as it was much easier to do so. The costumes seemed silly and he had no intrence in the social gathering held at multiple locations anymore than he had before. This weekend, thankfully, he would not be forced to attend, seeing as Anna and him were no longer dating.

The girl was still angry with Cas over the breakup and had yet to look at the teenager without narrowing her eyes in a glare that would set the devil himself ablaze. It stung Cas to have someone he had spent so much time with now despise him, but he was happy to be free of the mental abuse she put him under as well as the hours and hours spent at useless parties. This year, Castiel wasn’t sure what he would be doing, perhaps just staying at home with a book in his lap and his phone beside him, vibrating every so often with Deans poorly spelled texts; it sounded nice enough to the teenager although he wouldn’t admit it to his schoolmates who asked if he was going to the party this weekend. The news of his and Annas split had echoed the halls, spreading like an infectious disease. If Dean had herd it, which he surely had, he didn’t seem to care; he hadn’t spoken about it, which worked well enough for both of them it seemed.

“Whats up?” Deans deep voice rumbled happily behind him, making Castiel grin into his locker. He shut the door and turned on his heel to the teenager.

“Hey.” He responded, looking over the boy. He had seemed to pick up on Castiels habit of standing closer than most people would, ignoring personal space rules the Winchester boy had once commented on in class. “Nothing. You?”

“Lest you didn’t say the sky this time.” Dean mumbled with a grin as he turned towards their last block. “You busy tonight?”

“I have no plans after practice tonight. Why?” Castiel asks, tilting his head a little as he looked over at Dean.

The teenager, ever mysterious, only smirked and looked out in front of him, saying “You’ll see.”  They had entered the class at this point so when Castiel opened his mouth to protest the secret, he was cut off by the class starting, so the Winchesters surprise was left just that, a surprise.

At the end of the day, Dean left the second the bell rung, having explained to Castiel earlier he had to go do something right afterschool, but he would be back soon.  This left Castiel alone, but happy, as he walked to practice. It seemed silly for them to have practice when there was no game, but their coach insisted and the boys knew better than to complain.

At 5:30, half an hour earlier than normal, the teammates reentered the gym, drenched and stinking as normal, with the order to be safe this weekend. A request that would surely go unheard. However, the locker room did disperse quicker than normal, which left Castiel as one of the last ones there, actually changing into normal clothing for once seeing as no one was around to notice bruises and scars mauling his skin.

He had just started humming an opera song jammed in the ever-buzzing spaces of his mind when he heard the slow, scarstic sound of clapping to his right. He turned to find Max standing there, leaning against the lockers like an overdone movie pose. He had always been like that, Castiel thinks, overdramatized and fake. Posed.

“Damn Cassie, I didn’t know you sang, “ Max says, a mocking smirk toying with his lips and sparking a dangerous heat in his eyes, one that settled worry like a rock in Castiels gut.