Chapter Three

You're always one decision away from a different life.

••

Jace's POV

"She broke up with him. The wedding is cancelled." Alec tells me.

"How do you even know this stuff?" I ask him. Alec and Clary are constantly annoyed with each other. Don't ask me why. They both say that the other can be really annoying sometimes but, at the same time, they're friends.

"Magnus, Izzy and Thomas are with her, trying to make her feel better. She's keeping the apartment and he's moving to LA." He tells me.

"Look, even if I went to talk to her, why would that be a good thing? It's not like we have feelings for each other." I say and roll my eyes.

"Stop fooling yourself. If I didn't tell you she was alright and all that, you would have asked just to make sure she's fine." Alec says and raises an eyebrow.

"It's been almost 10 years since we said goodbye and I left." I say.

"You mean since you ran away because you couldn't stay if she dropped you off." Alec says and rolls his eyes.

"Alec, it's been 10 years! We're not teenagers anymore!" I say.

"Well then that's a good reason to meet her and catch up." Alec says.

I open my mouth to say something but his phone starts ringing.

"Hold on, it's Magnus." He says and leaves the room.

Magnus and Alec have been dating since high school. I think that's amazing because they've spent so many years together and been through college, the time where most people break up.

Alec tells me he has to leave so I go to the same bar I was last week. It was getting late, it was around 11pm. A lot of people where there. Most of them with their partners making out and some where trying to pick up girls.

I go to the bar and sit there. I order a beer and it takes a few minutes to come. Most people were sitting on the tables or near the stage. A band was performing. I look closely to it and it's Simon's band. The name of it is Mundanes or something like that.

"Do you mind buying a girl a drink?" Someone asks behind me. I smirk and turn around.

"Clary? Why are you here?" I ask, surprised.

"I just needed to get out of the house a little bit." She says and smiles. I smile back and pay her a beer too. "Thanks."

"I heard about the break up. Are you okay?" I ask.

"I will be." She says.

"Why did you break up with him anyway?" I ask.

She looks at me surprised, probably not expecting that question.

"Everyone has asked me that. And, honestly? I don't know. There was just something that was missing, something didn't feel right when I was with him." She says and looks at her hands. I notice that she has a ring but not an engagement ring, my family ring. The ring I gave her.

I remember the day I left her. How I was wondering if she'd ever wear that ring. She did. She wore it. She still wears it.

"He didn't deserve you, Clary." I say and she looks at me confused.

"What?" She asks.

"You heard me. He didn't deserve you. You deserve much better." I say and she smiles.

"Thanks." She mumbles. She looks at the clock and then her phone starts ringing. Her eyes grow wide and she immediately answers it. "Yes, Jonathan, I'm so sorry! I'm on my way." She pauses for a while. "Okay, I love you too." And she hangs up.

"I have to go now, Jace! I just left my brother on the airport all by himself so he took a cab to my house and he doesn't have the keys." She says.

"Doesn't he still live here?" I ask. I pay for the drinks and we get out of the bar.

"Yes but he was in London for a while. Anyway, it was nice seeing you!" She says and gets a cab. She was about to leave but I call her. "What is it?" She asks.

"We should catch up sometime." I say and she smiles.

"Call me." She says and I wink to her.

Clary gets in the cab and I walk home since it's not really far from here.

Clary's POV

"I'm not even asking you why you two broke up. I knew that would happen soon. But, anyway, are you sure you don't want to find another house? You can stay over in my house if you want." Jonathan tells me.

"No, I'm good with this one for now. Just help me clean all this things that still belong to Sebastian." I say.

We clean up everything and order something to eat. We just sit on the couch to choose a movie to watch when I get a call.

"Hello?" I say.

"Clarissa, hello. It's the Captain." He says on the other line. The Captain is really rich and he once came to my art gallery with his art consultor. She didn't like one of my paintings, the one that showed the inside of a car after an accident. I painted that with that I had remembered from the accident that took my parents away.

"Oh- Hello, Captain." I say.

"Clarissa, I have an offer for you." He starts. "Well, you were the only one who knew that painting was going to be sold for millions." That's true. I knew I could sell that for a lot but I wasn't expecting this much.

"Well, I wasn't expecting that much but yeah." I say.

"I regret not being the one who bought it. I fired my art consultor when that painting sold and she didn't know. So, I have an offer. Would you like to be my new art consultor? You can keep the gallery, of course." He says and I do my best not to scream in excitement.

"Yeah, sure. I would love to." I say smiling. My brother looks at me, trying to figure out what was happening.

"Great. There's only one issue- I'm going to Italy next month and I am staying there for one year so you'd have to come with me." He says.

"Oh, uh," I try to find the words to say 'yes' but I just can't. "Can I call you later, Captain?"

"Yes, you can." He says and hangs up.

"What happened?" My brother asks.

"Captain wants me to be his art consultor..." I say.

"That's amazing! You need to take that job, I'll help you with the art gallery if you need." My brother says smiling.

"But there's one problem." I start. "He wants me to move to Italy for one whole year."

My brother looks at me shocked.

"Are you going?" He asks.

"I mean, I've always dreamed of going to Italy. So..." I say.

••

What is Clary going to say? Is she going to accept it? Please vote and comment your opinion! ❤️